Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah so im replacing my axle as we speak, and i cant get the hub to come off. all bolts are out, and that thing will now come off. i used a slide hammer to try to make it work and its not coming off. does anyone have any input? once i get the hub off will the axle just slide right out?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
bang the knuckle with a hammer on flat spots that you wont dent. or just read xfe's how to

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

you need to bang the end of the axle and get it free BEFORE you take the hub out. it should slide in the splines easily

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did still nothing. ive been wakin up the neighbors for 2 hours now. i dont have in penetrating blaster so its makin it a lot harder

i already read the how-to on yc and css

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Are you doing this by yourself?

If so, hit it on the back side of the hub, just like I explained in the how to....left, right, left right, left, right...etc..you have to "work" it out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha i have, im sure ill get it, im glad you guys are like "real-time" helping me, responsive so fast lol

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
N/p.

I know it's a pain in the ass, but just keep hittin the shit out of it. It will come out. Try to alternate sides like I said. That helped a lot when we did this to Chris's car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
just dont hit the hub itself, they dont take impacts for shit. it's best to shock the knuckle not the hub. if you have to, take an awl, ideally made of brass. something thick. and bang the sides of the hub assembly where the bolts thread into. no big deal if you dent it a little bit.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well now the u joint is broke completely, and i cant get the axle to come out of the transmission. the u joint closet to the trans is still good, but the other ones completely broke its only hanging in there by the boot. so i have no clue what to do now.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Do you have a method of cutting through the bad joint? Since you were replacing the axle anyways, you might as well cut it out to make sure you're not screwing your trans up with any further efforts.

As far as the hub itself goes, did you rent a puller? And I can tell you right now that the hub itself does not like being hit with a hammer... i knocked the one on my G5 out of spec and it caused severe vibration in the front end since it caused the rotor to sit funny.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nah i went a different direction now. i just lower the controll arm and undid the tie rod end and got it out like i shouldve done lol. so yeah got the new axle in, but now i cant get the axle to press into the tranny. i used a pry bar to pry it out but now idk how to get it to go all the way in

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i did that already in the last post, the problem im having now is getting the axle to click into the tranny. i have no clue how im gonna do that, any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.