Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For anyone who has put on aftermarket rims, I STRONGLY suggest getting a set of hub centric rings. They are a little insert ring that fits around your cars center hub and the inside of the rims center ring. These are A MUST, imo, for those who have universal rims. I had a slight shimmy while driving and while stopping, but now I have A VERY SMOOTH ride...if you bought aftermarket rims that fit your cars hubs, then no need for these. I believe that Discount tire and pretty much any other tire wholesale should carry them (bought mine from a rim specialty shop) and they run around 30$ a set...If you do decide to get a pair, take measurements to give to the associate so you get the right ones, plus its quicker and nicer if you know what size you need. You need the one measurement from the car hub and one from the rim. For those that dont know how to get a measurement: go to your local hardware shop, ACE, Harbor Freight, and get a caliper. now reading a caliper can take sometime but you can get a digital one for around 10-15$ (bought mine for 10$ @ Harbor Freight). Then measure both the outside circumfrence of the car center hub and the inside diameter of the rim that you are installing. FYI, if you get a digital one, close the caliper completely and zero out...mine was off when i opened it.

Any questions feel free to post or pm...

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I bought my rims I thought about gettin these. I asked several experts about em and they told me I shouldnt need em if I bolt the wheels up right. 15k+ mi and no problems/shimmy/shaking/etc. Did you do the install yourself?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I installed myself and bolted up right. My father in law is a mechanic of 25+ years. If you rims are made to fit your car then you shouldn't need these, but if you have a univesal rim then I suggest these. In my opinion, the way you can tell is if your center hub ring and center whole of your rim fit against each other tight (no gap inbetween the two) then you don't need them, but if so, then yes. You don't want ANY gap. You might think that since you have them on there tight and snug that they won't move, you're wrong.
-----Added 15 Dec 2008 at 10:23:03-----
plus size matters too. I have 20" rims with 30 series tires. If you have more tire then it will be different.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plus size matters too. I have 20" rims with 30 series tires. If you have more tire then it will be different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
anyone know the numbers for an 07 ls, its too cold out not to go measure my hub and i can do the measuring on the rims cuz they are in my garage...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure on the 07. I have an 05 base coupe. Hub was 2.211"/56.15 mm, but they were TIGHT! I had to "work" them on...bit they're on doing what they need to do! You could try a mechanic at your local chevy dealership or if you have a rim specialty shop nearby they should be able to look up the info. The guy at the place I got mine were able to, but didn't get it right...lol. They might also be able to measure it for you if they aren't busy, might luck out and get it free of charge.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info...but don't think be could use the wheel dimension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.