Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen other posts on this but I wanted to get an opinion on my specific issue. It's pretty much just what the title says. The faster I go, the louder it gets inside the cabin. It's like a jet taking off. If it's for sure the bearing, I'll just get two new ones and be done with it.

Also, I'll link the part I think I'll need. From what I can find, it would be easier to just replace the whole hub on both sides.
HTML:
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2009/CHEVROLET/COBALT/LT?siteid=214858&vehicleid=1442863&section=FRONT%20SUSPENSION&group=FRONT%20SUSPENSION&subgroup=SUSPENSION%20COMPONENTS&component=FRONT%20HUB

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update for anyone interested, I bought a new front hub assembly from amazon for around $50. The only problem I had was getting the old hub out which took some doing (heat, hammer, chisel) but other than that it was smooth sailing. I've done some driving on it and not only is the noise gone, the ride is a little better and there's no more wobble in my steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Replacing both is not a good idea. Just replacing the bad one is the way to go because a bearing can last 300000 miles or it can last 300 miles. What I'm getting at is the other bearing might outlast the new one.

Hammer Hub puller works way better than trying to sledge it out though. Mine only took two good pulls.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I looked around for an easier way to get it out but it wasn't until I had the caliper taken apart and was ready to go. There's also a "sacrificial bolt" method I read about but I didn't really have the patience to go get more stuff, you know being in the moment and whatnot. I'm not worried about the other side. I decided the problem started when I hit a pothole at 55 mph :embarrest: I went to get an oil change at the dealership (which I have decided was silly now) and they did a free inspection and said the right strut was messed up. So since then, I've replaced both struts and the steel wheel (that not only bent but CRACKED on a seem) and now this bearing. I think all my damage from that incident has been fixed at this point, now I can put some money into mods.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Life is a learning process. Glad you got her back in A1 shape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.