Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since gas prices have gone so high I believe its time to start looking into mods and hypermiling tecniques.

I know the doors of the cobalt are really heavy does anyone know what kinda changes you can make to that? any other weight reductions?

What about mods for boost your milage?

Here are some tecniques ive learned:

-Fill tires to max
-use mobil1 0w-30
-drive the speed limit
-act like there are no brakes
-take it easy going uphill and glide when going down
-put car into neutral and shut it off at lights

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
?Shut it off at stop lights.. are you crazy?!?! starting your car uses so much gas. i read that starting your car uses as much gas as letting your car idle for 30 mins.

use cruise control often

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yep it takes alot more power to start the car than let it idle for a while ...its not worth shutting it off unless you are in like stand still traffic on a highway for a while

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
idn im 18, it was only a year ago i was in drivers education, and thats what was in the book. Who knows could be a old book.

Just relaying what ive heard. But still you shouldnt shut your car off at a red light.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
idn im 18, it was only a year ago i was in drivers education, and thats what was in the book. Who knows could be a old book.

Just relaying what ive heard. But still you shouldnt shut your car off at a red light.
maybe you read 30 seconds, because there is no way its 30 minutes. Not even on a V8.

I do agree with you about not shutting it off at a light though. On average your only stopped at a light maybe 30 seconds. But if you are waiting in line at the drive through, then it may be a good idea to shut it off.

More good ways to save gas:

Shift when indicated by your shift light
Slowly acclerate from stoplights
An intake and exhaust CAN help you get better mileage but most people see worse mileage. The reason for this is when people get there new intake or exhaust they are inclined to hit the gas a bit more. But if you can keep your driving habits the same it would help.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Since gas prices have gone so high I believe its time to start looking into mods and hypermiling tecniques.

I know the doors of the cobalt are really heavy does anyone know what kinda changes you can make to that? any other weight reductions?

What about mods for boost your milage?

Here are some tecniques ive learned:

-Fill tires to max
-use mobil1 0w-30
-drive the speed limit
-act like there are no brakes
-take it easy going uphill and glide when going down
-put car into neutral and shut it off at lights
Fill your tires to the max is a HORRIBLE idea. Fill them to the recommended level and that's it. make sure they are all the same and if you really want fill them with nitrogen. It will help a little. Were talking 1% gain max.

Synthetic will help, you don't really need 0 weight though. In fact it might be a little too light for a daily driven non performance car. It won't hurt but 5W-30 is just fine.

If in a manual, engine brake your heart out. When you are engine braking the injectors stop injecting which saves you a fortune in gas. For those with an interceptor put it on the instant fuel economy setting and engine brake. Watch it go off the charts. :)

Don't shut the car off. While shutting it off will help a little for long periods at lights it's pointless and you are putting extra wear on the engine, cooling and ignition system by continually stopping and starting it.

I can't speak for GMs direct injection system but I know BMWs has crank, cam, and other sensors that allow the car to uses a very minimal amount of fuel on start up. Literally you hit the key and it starts because the system finds which cylinder has the best conditions for ignition and it first fuel into it only until the car starts. It's pretty cool. I would imagine the other auto makers are hot onto that system as well.

A big key to better fuel economy is weight. Lose as much as you can. Take out the crap in the trunk, your cds, the rear seats and brackets, subs etc etc. Hit the gym if you are hefty like me. :) Every lb you shed from the car equals better economy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theres another site im researching called cleanmpg.com

thats where I found some of these are the hypermilers weve been hearing about on tv.
The 2 highest recommendations were the max on tires and 0w-30.

I have filled up my tires to max and its made a drastic difference, I just dont know where to get 0w-30.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of some serious weight in our cobalts? I know theres alot in the doors alone.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
There's really not much you can do to lighten up the doors without sacrificing safety. (especially on the coupe) There is a thick metal bar that runs through it to protect you from impact.

As for other weight redux, you could remove your spare tire. (I wouldn't unless i had roadside asst.) back seats?

·
Registered
35 Posts
well you could remove the rear seat, passenger seat, all the interior, the carpeting, sound insulation, spare tire, get some lightweight wheels, replace the sheet metal with as many carbon fiber body parts as you can get, and replace the glass with lexan. that would definately drop the weight way down.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Get a smart car :p

quite literally, back seats are alot of weight, almost too much.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Remove your 4-point harness? Seems excessive for an LS...
Yeah, it's sort of ironic he wants to save as much money as possible but has a race harness.

well you could remove the rear seat, passenger seat, all the interior, the carpeting, sound insulation, spare tire, get some lightweight wheels, replace the sheet metal with as many carbon fiber body parts as you can get, and replace the glass with lexan. that would definately drop the weight way down.
While all of that would work, I doubt the savings in fuel economy would be worth the cost of all the carbon fiber and in most states lexan is not street legal.

Theres another site im researching called cleanmpg.com

thats where I found some of these are the hypermilers weve been hearing about on tv.
The 2 highest recommendations were the max on tires and 0w-30.

I have filled up my tires to max and its made a drastic difference, I just dont know where to get 0w-30.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of some serious weight in our cobalts? I know theres alot in the doors alone.

Well if you want to fill your tires to the max go ahead. It's stupid and it's dangerous. You'll go through tires really fast as well negating any gains in mpg. Have fun with that.

You can easily shed around 145lbs by removing the spare tire, jack, trunk carpet, all your trunks contents (subs speakers, etc), rear deck, the rear seats and the brackets that hold the seats in. Then start shedding interior panels, A, B, C pillars etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to use the harness because of my seats which only weigh about 5lbs.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea i heard that the rear seats weigh alot and there is a cross bar that weighs alot in the back seats too ..the spare tire and jack weigh you down as well. Also if you have electric windows they tend to make the doors more heavier due to the fact in which they have electric motors that power them....that is the only reason why i like my crank windows lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
You want great mileage, just drive behind a bus or semi on the highway...stay far enough away that you don't piss the driver off, but close enough that there is less drag on your car. Drafting helps a lot. There are a lot of tips for hypermiling. There is a website specifically for it and they will teach you how to get the most out of your car. I think someone has a Ford Ranger (not sure if it's a 4cyl or 6 and auto or manual), but I know he's getting about 3 times the mileage it is rated for.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yea i heard that the rear seats weigh alot and there is a cross bar that weighs alot in the back seats too ..the spare tire and jack weigh you down as well. Also if you have electric windows they tend to make the doors more heavier due to the fact in which they have electric motors that power them....that is the only reason why i like my crank windows lol
I think its so stupid when people say things like this.. There is not one person who really prefers manual windows simply for weight purposes. Have you ever seen a power window motor? there tiny 3-4 lbs at the most. Wanna save 3-4 lbs? Take a big crap before you leave..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.