Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen the word hypermiling mentioned in many threads, but never saw a true explanation of it. Can anyone elaborate?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hypermiling is just the use of techniques to get max MPG. You change your driving habits and your car to get the best MPG you can....there are plently of techniques in which will will explain or already has. Hypermiling has also become somewhat of a sport, with people trying to see who can go the longest on one tank of gas with the Honda Insight taking the highest MPG with 213 MPG and 2,254 miles travelled on its 13.7 Gallon tank.

Sorry for the useless facts, saw it on tv like last week and I retain information easily

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hypermiling is just the use of techniques to get max MPG. You change your driving habits and your car to get the best MPG you can....there are plently of techniques in which will will explain or already has. Hypermiling has also become somewhat of a sport, with people trying to see who can go the longest on one tank of gas with the Honda Insight taking the highest MPG with 213 MPG and 2,254 miles travelled on its 13.7 Gallon tank.

Sorry for the useless facts, saw it on tv like last week and I retain information easily
Holy shit!!! Are you serious?

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

theres no way.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That is sick! Is it a hybrid?

·
Registered
992 Posts
The recent Maximum Fuel Economy contest was held in Elkhart, Indiana, where "world records" for the Honda Insight (213 miles per US gallon (1.10 L/100 km; 256 mpg-imp) round trip), Toyota Prius (136 miles per US gallon (1.73 L/100 km; 163 mpg-imp) round trip) and the Ford Escape Hybrid (76 miles per US gallon (3.1 L/100 km; 91 mpg-imp) mpg round trip) were achieved, albeit having been achieved while rolling through all stop signs and having the vehicle tires inflated well beyond recommended specifications.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Hypermiling is just the use of techniques to get max MPG. You change your driving habits and your car to get the best MPG you can....there are plently of techniques in which will will explain or already has. Hypermiling has also become somewhat of a sport, with people trying to see who can go the longest on one tank of gas
^^^^^Exactly.

You will find a lot of threads in this section about getting better mpg. I, myself have a total average of 42.21 mpg. That's city, hwy, warm, and cold weather since I bout the car in late August of last year. I am hoping to increase that to 46 this year, as I will have the car all summer.

My last car was a 97 Geo. I got a one-tank high of 61.33 mpg with it, and averaged 55 normally.

Here, check this one out to get you started.
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/all-about-mpg/16824-getting-started-max-mpg.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
So I have seen the word hypermiling mentioned in many threads, but never saw a true explanation of it. Can anyone elaborate?
it's pretty dangerous, i mean i'm fairly agressive in my car however i have come to understand that most people are not in the same situation as me, so i am sure to be aware of slower and less 'agile' driving without agression tward other drivers (flipping them off, it's really NOT thier fault i'm pissed)

but a LOT of other people take the standpoint of "I don't give a damn!, get the F**K out of my WAY!"
and they come roaring up to mr. hypermiler and can't really tell that he isn't going quite as quick
('cause this speeding angry lunatic is screaming at someone on his phone)
at last second, he has to jerk into the other lane cuting off a minivan, that clips a pedestrian while attempting to avoid the lunatic, slams on the brakes and gets rear-ended,... at least this is what it looks like is about to happen when rush-hour traffic meets that guy thats trying 'that hypermiling thing' on the now heavily populated road where everybody is basically racing to get home.

all i'm saying is, be careful to do that in less traffic-filled situations, it seems like a hazard due to the more ignorant portion of society
..... then again, i live in a chicago suburb, commuter traffic in and out of the city is brutal, i've seen people shoot-up while driving on the highway, play gameboy in traffic, ...masterbate...

so i guess EVERYBODY should really just look out ...especially near Chicago

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Yeah i've seen non hybrid cars reach 200+ mpg before. TRUE hypermillers are dangerous drivers though. Drafting as close as possible, refusing to brake EVER, shutting the car off. I hypermilled once and got 55 mpg in my cobalt.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The only hypermiling-ish thing I do is draft behind 18-wheelers. Anything else, such as mentioned above, **** that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'd only suggest hypermiling when you're the only one on the road. Many states have minimum speed laws (PA for example is 15mph under unless the conditions are too bad to safely travel at that minimum.) Also, extreme hypermiling can easily get you citations for doing drafting and rolling stop techniques. There isn't a single cop that will accept "Fuel Economy" as a legitimate reason for blowing a stop sign.

Anyways, I can get good MPG if I focus on it (I've done 42 in the SS before), but its too damn fun having a lead foot. :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'd only suggest hypermiling when you're the only one on the road. Many states have minimum speed laws (pa for example is 15mph under unless the conditions are too bad to safely travel at that minimum.) also, extreme hypermiling can easily get you citations for doing drafting and rolling stop techniques. There isn't a single cop that will accept "fuel economy" as a legitimate reason for blowing a stop sign.

Anyways, i can get good mpg if i focus on it (i've done 42 in the ss before), but its too damn fun having a lead foot. :lol:
damn straight!!

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I also agree. I am NOT a true hypermiler. I am much more of a ecodriver. This means that you will find me taking routes with a lot less traffic lights, driving a lot slower than other people, drafting semis, not using the drive thru windows much, taking off a lot slower than others do, etc.

I also use my A/C when it's above 75. I want good mpg, but I will only go so far to get it. You will never find my car moving with the engine off, running stop signs, etc. I appreciate the work and dedication hypermilers put into their hobby, it's just not for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with everyone else about hypermiling at the wrong times.

I may post some incredible numbers but if you were to see the roads I drive I'm not driving around with a line of 10 cars behind me.

If you are on I-95 in a 70 mph zone trying to do 55 mph you are asking to get yourself killed.

Just be smart about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.