Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I had a tire place put my tires and wheels on a couple years ago.
I'm wanting to touch up my calipers and drums but cant unscrew the lug nuts.

I called the tire place and they said it should be professionally taken off with a gun(torque wrench i think?). What am I supposed to do if i get stuck on the side of the road and all I've got is a 4 way?!!

Is it ok for them to loosen it and I just hand tighten it? Or does everyone except me have a torque wrench to take the lugs off? lol

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
sounds to me like they made them a tad bit too tight. i mean..i get mine done at Discount Wheel and Tire *if you have those in GA* and i took mine of with the thing supplied our trunk.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
take it back, give them shit! the lugs are supposed to be torqued, and when they are, tthey can be pulled off with the tire iron

·
Registered
856 Posts
When my grandpa changed my breaks, he said the wheels were pretty tight and he kinda had to beat them off, and he ended up putting some oil on the wheel and sanded some of the rust off, so now they're fine.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well see the wheels have a recommend torque to put them on with and they're SUPPOSED to put them to that spec...correct me if im wrong please cuz im by no means an expert. but they def. put them on too tight cuz like snake said, what if ur stuck in bum f*ck egypt and can't get ur tire off?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
like others have said, TAKE IT BACK TO THEM! someone got carried away with the impact gun.
if its that tight you could break a wheel stud trying to loosen them. then your really ****ed if trying to change on the side of the road.
i torque mine to 85 ft lbs. not sure if thats what gm recommends, but for passenger cars thats about in the middle. and my wheels have never come off. and living in a snow zone, i change my wheels at least twice a year.
torque wrench is a good investment. and dont cheap out when buying tools. :)

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have an electric impact wrench if you need it
Is that what I need to loosen them a bit?

like others have said, TAKE IT BACK TO THEM! someone got carried away with the impact gun.
if its that tight you could break a wheel stud trying to loosen them. then your really ****ed if trying to change on the side of the road.
i torque mine to 85 ft lbs. not sure if thats what gm recommends, but for passenger cars thats about in the middle. and my wheels have never come off. and living in a snow zone, i change my wheels at least twice a year.
torque wrench is a good investment. and dont cheap out when buying tools. :)
Thanks you for the info! Ill try and have them loosen it up a bit so I can repaint my calipers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.