Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving into work today there was a big block of ice from a trucks wheel well so I went to go around it and hit a patch of ice and went to hit my brakes after it was through but abs kicks on and i end up sliding and crunching my rear rocker panel on a stump and a stick smacking my mirror breaking only the glass part which idk how. I am so pissed off

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
i think it's funny how nearly EVERYONE that buys a car these days, looks for abs. i have never really liked abs, i prefer power brakes. the way i think about it, is if you know how to drive strategically, then you should have no problems. i have taken advanced driving courses through the military with beefed up impala's and humvees that don't have abs and i drove fine. i definitely prefer power brakes. i'm on a beer rant. sorry to hear man.

·
Registered
252 Posts
ABS stops you from sliding. And it only kicks in once you lose traction anyways. So if you started sliding with abs, you would have slid without it anyway, just worse. I prefer not having abs myself but this seems like it's mostly your fault.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
My car doesn't have ABS.

Or traction control.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
I'm just used to it. My IROC didn't have anything either, but that's cause it was an '86. They didn't have that crap back then.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got a rough estimate they say prob 1000 in body work and 1000 in suspension. Idk how its that bad the rocker looks like it needs replaced and the side skirt but for the suspension it just looks like the rear is shifted a bit so i think it could be just re aligned. the car is still drivable just the steering wheel is crooked to make up for the shift in the back

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
ABS sucks, Traction control sucks, I hate it all, always have. Give me a set of old hydraulic brakes any day. I'm the driver, when I hit the brakes I want to control the vehicle not feel the pulses thru my pedal, I want the control of being able to lock up my brakes if I want, and be able to feather the gas pedal if I am in a slick or slippery situation, not go into traction control or reduced power mode.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Well got a rough estimate they say prob 1000 in body work and 1000 in suspension. Idk how its that bad the rocker looks like it needs replaced and the side skirt but for the suspension it just looks like the rear is shifted a bit so i think it could be just re aligned. the car is still drivable just the steering wheel is crooked to make up for the shift in the back
Ouch.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah that does suck but I have to agree with some of the others, if you wouldnt have had ABS then your wheels would have still locked up and you would have still slid....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Insurance companies give a discount for ABS for a reason - it works. They are not in the business of giving discounts for quackery. Actuaries study these things and know what they are doing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ABS works. The first time I had ABS was on the rear wheels of a bare bones 2WD S-10 pick-up. I never really noticed until they went out and every time I hit the brakes if it was wet out my back end started sliding. I immediately took it in and got it fixed.

You just have to learn how to drive with ABS. You just keep applying a steady pressure and steer around an obstacle. The brakes won't lock up so you won't start sliding. Your problem was hitting the brakes on ice. If you slow down with the transmission or hit your brakes or sometimes just take your foot off the gas, if you are on ice, you can start sliding.

The key is to maintain a steady speed but not to be going too fast to begin with when you are on ice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.