Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently went to get my Balt inspected, as is mandatory in Texas every year, and I go pass every test only to find out my tint failed the test. Apparently the tint on my front windows is 17%, and the Texas legislature recently passed a law in September making it illegal to have tint under 25%.

What pisses me off about this is the fact that I bought the car like this almost 2 years ago and have never once been pulled over for my tint (apparently the law was below 20% before or higher before), and now I have to remove it because of some BS law or else I'm driving a car with expired inspection which is also illegal. I'm still debating whether to go to another place to get it inspected and see if they don't say anything about it, but I don't want to waste another $40 in case they do.

But anyways this is just a rant, and warning to anyone else who lives in Texas and has tint. You might get a surprise next time you get inspected :notrust:.

·
Registered
88 Posts
get it inspected with the windows down all the way. sometimes they will roll them up sometimes they wont.
a friend of mine rolls them down and then pulls the fuse for them, so that the inspector cant roll them up....its legal to have broken windows lol

·
Registered
867 Posts
get it inspected with the windows down all the way. sometimes they will roll them up sometimes they wont.
a friend of mine rolls them down and then pulls the fuse for them, so that the inspector cant roll them up....its legal to have broken windows lol
LMAO sounds like a smart idea

but any how, ask around, maybe someone could refer you to a "cool" shop

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
see if you can use the grandfather clause, you had your windows legally tinted before the law changed. Sometimes you can be exempt from future laws like that. Example: If you have a car built before it was mandatory that airbags were required then you don't need airbags.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, my dad and I had called a tint shop to see if there was a grandfather clause, and it turns out there's not...

And I want to use the shop we used last time, if we do that we lose our $40 we already spent at the other place and who knows if they'll let it pass again. Oh and I actually had my windows rolled down which is probably why the guy even thought to check because he thought I was trying to hide it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have done the rolling the windows down but not pulling the fuse that is pretty smart, i have illegal tint as well but i work in an auto center where they do inspections so i wont have to worry about it lol

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
dude u live in san marcos. come down to say town and i know two places that will hook u up. shoot my gto has 5% on it and i got it from the dealer lol

·
Registered
867 Posts
dude u live in san marcos. come down to say town and i know two places that will hook u up. shoot my gto has 5% on it and i got it from the dealer lol
is one of them bens shop lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know about the 35%, on the Texas DPS it says 25% and the guy had told us they just came out with it. But if it has been out for a while, then I'm even more mad because I've had this car inspected with this tint before and it's passed.

I always pay after they check the car:laugh:
Just to make sure.....
They make you pay before they start inspecting, just in case something like this happens.

Haha, I actually got it inspected in H Town, I have a feeling if I had got it done in San Marcos I would have had even less trouble. But yeah...I'm never getting my inspection done at Mr. Sticker again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i live in New Braunfels man and here they are very very lax on those kind of stuff if you go to the right ones....i haven't had anything tinted yet cuz i haz no cash!:/ damn i didn't know i had balt owners this close!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.