Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just bought a new headunit about a week or so ago. i just saw someone post a new headunit thread and it reminded me.... its a double din its a JVC AVX820 check it out tell me what you think...

2 minor issues...

one im trying to wire it so the DVD plays without the parking brake (i know the hazard and everyone will tell me its not safe to watch and drive but even if you dont believe me i wont...) and second is that when i try to tilt or eject a disc when the screen starts to drop down it hits the top of my dash kit causing it to close again so i have to find a way to have it open freely without hitting....

otherwise it works great!!

heres pics!

·
Registered
678 Posts
how do u like it? Is it built in Navi? XM ready?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like i said id really like to get the DVD playing ... but yes it is XM ready just got to wire it it has bluetooth built in everything EXCEPT NAVI that is the one thing it didnt have that i wish it did ... but it has a AV in so lets say you have navi on your Iphone or whatever it can be displayed on the screen... it has dual zone capabilities and also is touch screen .. bunch of stuff im forgetting im sure but its very nice but if i cant get the DVD playing ill be alittle disappointed cause its the main reason i bought this one otherwise i would have gone with my first choice of Alpine....but well see how it works out

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks gooty!

·
Registered
678 Posts
it is spiffy looking, what was your first choice, just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the alpine iWA W404 it doesnt play DVD or anything but im a HUGE alpine fan and this was perfect for me but i got the one i got because of the dvd ... i did some reading and am gonna give it another shot!!!

heres the link to my first choice its SICK!

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - iXA-W404

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I think there's a wire that u have to wire up to the parking break. Soooooo, take that wire and just ground it anywhere. Then the DVD will play when driving

·
Registered
678 Posts
both look like good units

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks cesar i got a few things im gonna try that being one of them ... and i agree DJP the ONLY selling point that made me pic the JVC was the DVD otherwise i FOR SURE would get the alpine ... if that played DVD then forgeting i would get 2 haha

·
Registered
678 Posts
lol. I wish i could understand more about this shizz cuz i need to get one in the next week or so. lol

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Just keep in mind - it is (at least in Michigan) illegal to have something that plays DVDs in the view of the driver.

But it looks sweet, and I'm sure you could say it only works with the e-brake on..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes it is illegal to have the dvd on while in motion(bypassed). A cop can check and see if you headunit is bypassed and give you a ticket for it. So the best thing to do is instead of grounding the wire to a random bolt, run it to a switch. Then hide the switch somewhere. Youll press the button for the switch it will bypass it, ever get pulled over...., hit the switch, no longer bypassed.

As for the headunit not opening, i had the same problem with mine. Most people do, all these headunits do not fit without some kind of minor modification. What i had to do was file the edges around the face down until it fit. Just dont file to much or else your screwed, do a little bit at a time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the ideas guys i plan to try em out this week or next week when i have time! ill let you know when its done maybe more pics well see!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to know what dash kit you have? I bought one and it only fits on my screen when it is tilting???

Hey guys i just bought a new headunit about a week or so ago. i just saw someone post a new headunit thread and it reminded me.... its a double din its a JVC AVX820 check it out tell me what you think...

2 minor issues...

one im trying to wire it so the DVD plays without the parking brake (i know the hazard and everyone will tell me its not safe to watch and drive but even if you dont believe me i wont...) and second is that when i try to tilt or eject a disc when the screen starts to drop down it hits the top of my dash kit causing it to close again so i have to find a way to have it open freely without hitting....

otherwise it works great!!

heres pics!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
honestly dont know... a customer of mine ordered it for me... so i dont exactly remember... but i have yet to get mine to open i have to take it all apart and shave it down and hope it works!

Hey, I just wanted to know what dash kit you have? I bought one and it only fits on my screen when it is tilting???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.