Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
*I Spelled Buy wrong on thread title* oops =P anyways.. As a honda driver, i tend to be skeptic about many other brands.. especially chevy, but i love the cobalt SS look.. It seems to run good.. I am approved to get this 06 Silver cobalt SS supercharged model from a chevy dealer for just over $9k that has 90,000 miles on it..so i don't know 100% if maintenance and service has kept up right on it, but is there some things i should look for? and whats required im assuming there are 100k mile services recommended. ..also, i'd like this car to last, i'm not gonna be romping on it.. do these cars last up to 200k miles well? has anyone heard of these cars starting to have lots of issues going from 100k miles to 200k? don't wanna waste money on something i can't sell in 2 years at around 150k miles.

any honest input and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Treat err right and youll have no problems going over 200k. I wouldn't be worried, Also most dealers, where I am located anyways do a free service/checkup/ oil change on it once sold, atleast they did for mine. I wouldn't be worried at all, my cobalt is an 05 and just hit 110k no problems at all and love it.

welcome to the forums btw!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! ..that makes me feel more comfertible with your input! Much appreciated. I will go ahead and ask them about that free check up and service you mentioned you got for yours. I live in WA state near Seattle. I will be treating her right and will keep it maintained. Just didn't know how reliable they are after 100k miles even if well kept. I may pick it up today or tomorrow then, and i'll be on these forums often!

but just curious.. does anyone know of anyone running 200k+ miles on an ss 05+?

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Great! ..that makes me feel more comfertible with your input! Much appreciated. I will go ahead and ask them about that free check up and service you mentioned you got for yours. I live in WA state near Seattle. I will be treating her right and will keep it maintained. Just didn't know how reliable they are after 100k miles even if well kept. I may pick it up today or tomorrow then, and i'll be on these forums often!

but just curious.. does anyone know of anyone running 200k+ miles on an ss 05+?
Ive heard of people with over 150k-200k but cant remember who or if it was on this forum. Also if the dealership doesn't offer it then hassle them for it, or bargain the price down, when I bought my cobalt they wanted 7k and I brought it donw to 5.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Look for any typical noises that you would look for in any higher milage car. The cobalt was a fairly well built car. I race the piss out of mine and it has 140k. You will certainly want to replace the timing tensioner since the earlier year balts came with an inferior one, not too expensive to have piece of mind. If you buy, congrats you bought a fine machine. Feel free to ask questions here and as always, get a carfax!

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Yeah there was someone on here that was at 220 before someone totalled it (not his fault)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All of you have been very helpful! I greatly appreciate it. I've always wanted this machine, but I'm a newbie to american cars after owning Integras all my life, all i've heard is how unreliable american cars can be compared to a honda powered car. Just didn't know how well it would last and how strong its motor and tranny are even with forced induction by the supercharger. You guys are keeping my hopes high! I wanna support our american beast machines!

actually.. I had a 98 ford contour SVT model when i was in high school before getting integra gsrs.. I was at the "illegal" street drags locally in seattle, and my tranny blew revving it up to like 6k rpms and dropping the clutch blowing something out of the tranny.. luckily I had extended warranty and a reasonable faulty excuse to get it fixed =P but never again will I really be fond of a ford. Hoping Chevy can prove itself different as you all are showing me it will. But like I said, I will not be driving it hard, I'm a single father, 26 raising my 4 year old daughter.. would just like a newer car that is fun I know has some balls. American balls! lol

Again! Thanks Much.
Anymore input is welcome.
..The more the better until I get it!
at work now, gonna talk to them tonight
see about tomorrow picking it up but first
i'll try some bargaining ;)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I used to race Honda and Acura since my friends all have them. It's just talk that Foreign owners spew about the reliability of an American car. Shoot, Honda is mostly made here in the US now!!

I completely agree with you on the Ford though. Never have and never will like that company.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just make sure the SC isn't noisy, shifts are smooth, clutch feels right, no spitting/sputtering on acceleration, as well as no other noises, clunks/creeks or vibrations. Try to ask as many questions about the car itself, who traded it in and why. If the dealership inspected the car, ask to see a copy of what services were done.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My whole family owns Chevy with my cobalt being the latest. I have an 01 suburban, 08 silverado, and the 09 cobalt. Already have almost 50k on the balt and have never had a single thing wrong. Never had anything wrong with the 120k suburban or 70k silverado. Chevy's a great brand, hope you enjoy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.. I wouldn't have thought of those questions so I will be asking those questions and will take for one more good test drive to check a cpl things u mentioned I wasn't paying attention to!

And thanks for sharing your reliability experiences with your chevys kev.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum, JoWaYssCSS!

If you have questions about the vehicle (warranty, recall, build information), let me know! All I need are the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry.

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Orange I hope I do too.. but also found a black one same price and almost exact same miles in the 90k.. so I may check that out tomorrow too.. cause I love the black ones and the black and reddish interior.. but silver is nice too.. suggestions on color if they both play out well anyone? Silver or black?

Also thanks ChevyCustSvc.. glad to be here!.. I will try and get you the vin today sometime. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
black sucks!!!

If you can I would go newer SS for the pppsssshhhhh!!! (thats turbo!)

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

08+

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well.. I can get accepted up to 10gs.. can't find an ss 07 and up at nine or 10.. but I noticed there are turbo models on stock 1/4 mile site.. noticing the turbo model is faster.. id definitely be down. But this is all I can go for.. I try find the best performance ..looks ..model.. miles and quality for my buck. It came to the cobalt ss. Was lookin at rsx type s but they all above 120k miles and 03/04s. Ss is only one in 14s I have found to like wich seems to be well built.

And both models are 06 ss.. with the body and tall spoiler package.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Also.. I'm taking the car I choose on a road trip to la area for disney land with family and my daughter in august this coming summer (hott weather).. I wanna drive down there.. too many of everyone else fits in the van so I have to drive the second vehicle.. would this be a rough drive for the cobalt being supercharged being well serviced and maintenanced as I will do? I think its 1500 miles one way.. from seattle area to la area

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Typically the stock SS suspension isn't terrible on the driver. Actually, even having a fully built suspension it isn't terrible (depending on what you like). You should have no problem with the trip as long as you verify that all servicables are checked and replaced if needed.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

The SC model isn't bad, there is only so far you can take it though. I would assume a good stage 2 kit and a tune might get you to what you are looking for!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah.. not looking to build into a beast of a beast.. maybe tasteful mods like exhaust lowering and rims h&R seems good as I've never felt better on integras.. felt smooth and stock yet.. lowered.. is there H&R kits?.. just to have fun with as it'll be the quickest I've ever had.. than when a cpl years come I plan to get my affordable future dream car.. the sti.. would get a rex now.. but any at 9 or 10 are 02 03 above 120 as well.. and I hear their trannies won't work well. I'm glad to know it can make the trip keeping it up well.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yes, there are H&R springs. Cream of the crop along with SSC and YYZ for the balt.

Boo to you on the STI!!! lol, my dream car is an Evo so we are natural enemies I guess.

I raced a couple RSX type S' before. You really have to get the right one since there are so many different trim packages. One guy took a race this spring but had to have his car towed home so it was a bitter sweet win for him. Didn't see him again at any of the events all summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love evos too.. I coulda mentioned that as well since I don't like the new sti look compared to the new evo look I love better.. but I like the skinnier headlights after 05 I believe.. but by the time I can get one they might be too high of miles for me resulting in the newer evos =) I do love both.. wouldn't be an enemy of either or whatever id have.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.