Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since my balt is totaled im looking for a new one, and thought i would run some that ive found by everyone. I havent talked to my insurance, not sure what ill get out of the settlement, im hoping for 6-7 k for the car maybe slightly more with my aftermarket parts cost in the mix. I would really like to get an SS but with the amount of money ill get for the totaled LS, it wont be enough. Im wondering would it just be better if I bought a cheaper balt and switched it to FI myself?

This is all I have for now, I will update as I find them, but what do you think of this balt? Im currently in contact with the owner and the car is still for sale, its up at 81k miles and he is asking 6800, he said he just got a new jeep and thats why he is looking to sell.

2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged Few Mods 80k miles

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i think im being a little too optimistic with 7k, but i would like to think i wont get screwed with the settlement. I would be fine with an LT as long as it was stick and has alloy wheels, power windows/locks. But finding them in manual is really hard

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Check engine light is on due to the cold air intake, Iv had the code cleared and it will stay off for a week or 2 then pop back up out of random, Its a common thing with these motors when you put intakes on them.
not a fan of that, but otherwise not too bad for the price.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my car had slightly modified Fujita CIA and I had an on and off check engine light from it, but it never affected the performance of the car so i can see where hes coming from. And i would say the main thing im worried about is that i know he did mods so i dont know what he could have done without telling me. Ive been thinking and I think I might just be better off, say if i got 7k, to find an LS/LT thats a stick with power options for around 5k maybe with price talked down, and then use the extra thousand or two to supercharge it. I would know the car is reliable from a dealer, never been messed with, i would have less miles than that SS (hopefully), with some VROOM for the same price

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
When looking at used cars. I always stay away from moded ones because you don't know what was done and if it was done right.
That is the reason i only ever bought 1 used car. It just happened to be my 02 sunfire that my sister had and my dad sold it to a dealer on 06 after i told him not to.
So i bought it back.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok this is turning out to be more of an adventure than i thought, finding information on supercharger and turbo upgrades for a 2.2 balt. Its giving me a headache. If anyone on here has done either sc or tc upgrade to a 2.2, please chime in, im interested in knowing whether you bought a kit or pieced everything together, a parts list, estimated total cost and if it runs right. If I go with a LS/LT with FI im probably only going to have 1-2k to spend on changing its aspiration.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
ok this is turning out to be more of an adventure than i thought, finding information on supercharger and turbo upgrades for a 2.2 balt. Its giving me a headache. If anyone on here has done either sc or tc upgrade to a 2.2, please chime in, im interested in knowing whether you bought a kit or pieced everything together, a parts list, estimated total cost and if it runs right. If I go with a LS/LT with FI im probably only going to have 1-2k to spend on changing its aspiration.
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/17118-official-supercharger-build-threads.html

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/17119-official-turbocharger-build-threads.html

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
well you have a tough decision for sure i say buy a beater and save up for a nice SS, thats what i would do cuz im keeping my balt for the next three years while i finish college then buying a 2010 SS/tc and getting the RPD dealer installed

·
Registered
485 Posts
Seems like some of the mods weren't done 100%...I'd definatly check out the holes that "werent filled professionally". That just sounds like they are sticking out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mike i have been reading the turbo build thread for the past hour, and i still have 3-4 pages left... its so back and forth. I think from what ive read though putting a turbo in would cost too much. and my balt that got totaled was my beater/daily driver for while im in school, but now i need a new one

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.