Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was riding her rough and now she slips out of 3rd gear and 4th grinds first question is replace the tranny or fix it ?
second question is what parts would i need if i should fix it
third question what year models will fit my 07 the u pull it here has a lot of 08 09 10 but only 3 07s
what would be compatible ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would try adjusting the shifter first, if you were driving it hard you were probably shifting it hard also. No cost to try it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i adjusted the shift cable clips and i did get 3rd gear working like normal thank you mitche
but 4th gear keeps slipping and grinding i think 4th gear is fried
so back to my original question fix or replace and what years of cobalt transmissions will work in an 07 cobalt ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you say slipping are you saying the clutch is slipping? or that the transmission jumps out of gear?
Two very different things.
Grinding could be caused if the clutch is not releasing all the way, If clutch pedal engages right off floor may need bleeding. Jumping out of gear is either shift cable problems or like you said really worn fourth gear parts.
I also remember something about a roll pin on the shifter arm on the transmission rusting out.
As far as what transmission, there is a metal tag on top of trans that tells the model and gear ratio. you will want to match both, model so shift cables work right and gear ration so speedometer is correct.
I know the supercharged car has an f35, the ls may have the f25? not sure. But when you read the tag you can get a transmission from any year cobalt and even the saturn ion if it has the same number and gear ratio. But do more research cause i'm not positive. Also cobaltss forum has a ton of info on transmissions. Sorry i can't give you more info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just remembered, one or two early years had a different speedometer system, external on the intermediate shaft or something, make sure it's not one of those, but like I said go to cobaltss.net more ppl there that know about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say slipping are you saying the clutch is slipping? or that the transmission jumps out of gear?
Two very different things.
Grinding could be caused if the clutch is not releasing all the way, If clutch pedal engages right off floor may need bleeding. Jumping out of gear is either shift cable problems or like you said really worn fourth gear parts.
I also remember something about a roll pin on the shifter arm on the transmission rusting out.
As far as what transmission, there is a metal tag on top of trans that tells the model and gear ratio. you will want to match both, model so shift cables work right and gear ration so speedometer is correct.
I know the supercharged car has an f35, the ls may have the f25? not sure. But when you read the tag you can get a transmission from any year cobalt and even the saturn ion if it has the same number and gear ratio. But do more research cause i'm not positive. Also cobaltss forum has a ton of info on transmissions. Sorry i can't give you more info.

The stick kicks back and sits just close enough to make the gears grind, I've tried adjusting the cables and I did get 3rd back and working , but 4th gear will not stick if I really put the effort into firmly pushing the stick down as hard as I can seems like it will go into gear but the second that the engine decelerates the stick pops up and grinds actually thinking about it it grinds with the clutch pushed in all the way wile coasting kinda like the winedown when you hit reverse too fast and it won't let you put it in reverse until the gears slow down. I do appreciate your help thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts