Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an 05 Chevy cobalt ls with 177k miles. There’s a horrible clunking noise while coasting. It goes away when braking and acceleration. I’ve replaced both front wheel bearing and brake pads. Does anyone know what’s going on? The clunking noise is definitely coming from the front left.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First check that the lug nuts on the wheels are tight. Then, check your sway bar links. Mine have been clunking all winter. I pulled the wheels and one is broken right off and the other is loose. Guess it’s time for new ones. Also worn out control arm bushings cause all kinds of weirdness. Check them too. After that just do a general survey of everything to see if anything’s bent, broken, or missing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Have a look at the lower control arm. The rear bushing is fairly common to be a problem. Sometimes they will dry rot. Sometimes they start to separate. The rubber will pull away from the metal part. My car is currently starting to do this. It just hasn’t gotten bad enough that it’s extremely loose. But I will be replacing both lower control arms at the same time. My car has a little over 136,000 miles and it’s amazing they have lasted for 15 years! I am also experiencing vibration at highway speeds that comes and goes. Sometimes will not do it for weeks. Usually seems to be when it’s cool and humid that I notice it.

I would also look at the inner and outer tie rod ends. They can also clunk under acceleration and braking. Also common is the rack and pinion. The inner tie rod end may appear loose, but can actually be the rack and pinion moving. My car has this issue. Again it’s not real bad in my cause, but a new rack and pinion is on my list of repairs. Not so important yet, but probably should be if it gets any worse.

Any time you have suspension or steering parts like control arms, tie rod ends, or struts replaced on the front end of this car, you will need an alignment. It should always be done immediately after the parts are replaced so the tires don’t quickly wear out. Luckily I have a shop and alignment machine at my disposal so this isn’t an issue for me.

·
Say What again!
6,226 Posts
Well...that makes sense.

I remember when I did the brakes on the car many years back now, and I went out to bed-in the new front Hawk pads...horrific vibration and sound from the rear of the car as soon as I hit the brakes.

Some moron (me) forgot to tighten the lugs on the rear wheels. Whoops.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Good thing you caught that. I have had many vehicles come to the shop with snapped off studs because of someone leaving the lug nuts loose. Or worse having them come on a flatbed after the wheel came off and having lots of damage to suspension and body work. Not really sure how you wouldn’t notice the lug nuts being loose unless the person was in a real hurry putting the wheels back on the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts