Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Need Some Help

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  dawkness 
#1 ·
i have a 2008 cobalt special edition with 40 thousand miles, my problem is that when i exceed past 50 mph until 70 mph the steering wheel shakes and gets worse when i get on the brakes but once the speed drops below 50 it stops, ive changed front rotors and brakes and all i can get from mechanics is that i have worped rotors which cant be true if i put new ones on and it did the very same thing as soon as i drove it out of my shop. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly helpfull.

#2 ·
Classic symptoms of an alignment issue. Get it fixed quick because you will wear your tires unevenly and be forced to buy new sooner than later. I purchase the 3yr plan at my local Tires Plus for $170 and any time I take the car apart or every 10k (I commute for work) I get it realligned. Probably a bit much but at least I know I'm drving straight.

#3 ·
Sounds like you might have a broken belt in one of your tires or you might have lost a balance weight. Bent rim will also manifest itself the way you describe, hit a curb lately or a real bad pothole?

#7 ·
#8 ·
New tires doesn't mean they're good. I even had an out of round brand new Michelin "X" once. Get them roll tested.

#11 · (Edited)
Where did you get the roll test done?

To eliminate the tires rotate front to back, if you get the exact same vibration you have eliminated the tires and the rims. Warped rotors alone will not make your car shake at high speeds.

Are these steelies? Are you using the proper lug nuts for your type of rims? Does your rim have proper eccentric ring?

#13 ·
A roll test is done with a machine similar to a balancing machine except it has a roller that applies pressure on the tire belt as it is rotating. It has sensors that produce a printout of how round your tire is. If there is a broken belt or a defect in the tire it appears as a bump or a blip on the graph. If it falls within certain parameters the tire is qualified has good. In my case it was a front Michelin and it was brand new but it still had a big bump on the graph that showed it clearly out of specs. Even with the graph in hand the Costco guy was still arguing with me. I just screamed louder until he changed it.

#15 ·
I think that's the first time you mentioned that it did that before the new tires. This can't be a big mystery. Not the tires, not the rotors only leaves the rims....

#18 ·
Did you hit a puddle of water at the bottom of the hill with hot rotors? This will warp even new rotors if lug nuts aren't torqued equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.