Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now, this thread is not for starting crap, so please do not do it.

I was watching Overhauling, and Chip Foose was not satisfied with the ride height of the car they were building. They ended up cutting a coil out of each back spring on "D" day.

So, the question is, if you are conservative with the cutting is it possible to cut spring to lower a stock balt about 1.5 - 2 inches, and not "F" up your ride? Remember I am NOT talking about slamming it to the ground.

My thought is that if Chip Foose will cut springs, maybe the problems are a little blown out of proportion...

·
Registered
381 Posts
He cut the springs because it's TV and they had their "deadline". It's all about the drama.

Springs are engineered to compress within certain tolerances, all of this based on the actual size/tension of the springs themselves. Changing any variable ****s up the whole equation. This is ESPECIALLY important with the springs on modern cars, because they're variable rate! 1 inch of initial travel does NOT equal 1 inch of additional travel. For example, I've been told the TC's springs are 600+lb at their maximum, but they sure as hell aren't in minor corners.

Cutting springs is retarded, plain and simple.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
People have been cutting coils for a LONG time - as long as you don't go extreme, you'll be just fine.

That's with solid rate springs...variables are a total different animal.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah don't take any car show on T.V. as automotive gospel. I couldn't have said it any better than Force. If you cut your rear springs, which are variable rate, you are going to see a decrease in both handling and ride quality.

Note: For anyone who has done this, don't go thinking that stiffer spring rate automatically equals better handling.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yeah don't take any car show on T.V. as automotive gospel. I couldn't have said it any better than Force. If you cut your rear springs, which are variable rate, you are going to see a decrease in both handling and ride quality.

Note: For anyone who has done this, don't go thinking that stiffer spring rate automatically equals better handling.
The car Foose did it on was likely a '60s or '70s American vehicle - which didn't have variable spring rates.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The car Foose did it on was likely a '60s or '70s American vehicle - which didn't have variable spring rates.
Did he not swap basic suspension components? They normally do. New parts would almost certainly be variable.

Still not as dumb as my friends brother who just torched the springs on his 90's Tacoma and had a fat guy jump up and down in the bed.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Did he not swap basic suspension components? They normally do. New parts would almost certainly be variable.

Still not as dumb as my friends brother who just torched the springs on his 90's Tacoma and had a fat guy jump up and down in the bed.
Not necessarily. Lowering springs usually are, but a lot of parts for older cars are still one spring rate...

I didn't watch the show, though, so I don't know what he did.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
the springs were new I believe. Not a good idea. I have seen and rode in cars with cut springs, definitely not as good as before. I guess it can be alright if you drive like normal but yea, to think you are getting anything as far as better handling and performance from cutting than you need to just find another hobby. In the end, if you really want lower, pay the money(which I see many paying great prices on here) to get the height the right, safer way.

WHen I saw that I thought to myself "oh great, now all this kiddies and others are going to think its perfectly fine to do." I almost want to bet that after the owner saw the car or whatever and the show was over they may of went and got the right springs but for time deadlines sake it was just a quick do it to make it look good. But than again, to think you ride did not have shortcuts taken on a show like that is asinine(sp) lol

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
They have done questionable things on the show before.

When they did someone's '68 442, they did a bunch of [filmed] burnouts and what not before bringing it to the shop.

They never replaced or rebuilt the factory engine - just put some paint and dress-up goodies on it. The engine developed issues after the owner got it back, and he sued the show, IIRC.

Overhaulin' 68 442 - Ricecop.com Forums

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
yea, does kinda suck they get raped by someone they just helped. Not sure if I would be pissed or not if it was me cause they did just save me a ton of money. I have heard that some makeover car shows though make you pay back some of the cost though if you are selected to be the person who gets the makeover. Not sure if its true or not but I can see it being true.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
yea, does kinda suck they get raped by someone they just helped. Not sure if I would be pissed or not if it was me cause they did just save me a ton of money. I have heard that some makeover car shows though make you pay back some of the cost though if you are selected to be the person who gets the makeover. Not sure if its true or not but I can see it being true.
I'd be pissed regardless - car makeovers aren't meant to take 7 days.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
if I had an older car that needed help like some of those I would be happy to have it looking as good and running as good as some of the things they have done in that short of a time. But to think its perfect is would be stupid on my part. After the show I would tell 'em straight out its cool what they did but there better be no problems and I would want to know everything they did and didn't do so I could go in and take care of it. Especially if its no money out of my pocket for what they did, I can live with spending some to get other things right since I was just saved thousands of dollars.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
if I had an older car that needed help like some of those I would be happy to have it looking as good and running as good as some of the things they have done in that short of a time. But to think its perfect is would be stupid on my part. After the show I would tell 'em straight out its cool what they did but there better be no problems and I would want to know everything they did and didn't do so I could go in and take care of it. Especially if its no money out of my pocket for what they did, I can live with spending some to get other things right since I was just saved thousands of dollars.
Yeah - but it wasn't running perfect. It leaked oil and had rod knock.

Remember the Overhaulin 442? - the truth... - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

That show was great, up until they changed it.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
well yea, that is different, did not know the engine was effed up. By the sounds you said(did not go to the links) it just sounded like they didn't touch the motor, did a few burnouts before and than after sometime it just went on the owner after sometime. Still know none of the story but should been the shows responsibility to let the owner know the motor was not touched and still needed tending too, cover your asses atleast I guess. Oh well, not my problem and I well never had to worry about that happening to me cause I have nothing that well be put on a show like that lol.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
well yea, that is different, did not know the engine was effed up. By the sounds you said(did not go to the links) it just sounded like they didn't touch the motor, did a few burnouts before and than after sometime it just went on the owner after sometime. Still know none of the story but should been the shows responsibility to let the owner know the motor was not touched and still needed tending too, cover your asses atleast I guess. Oh well, not my problem and I well never had to worry about that happening to me cause I have nothing that well be put on a show like that lol.
They did a bunch of burnouts/donuts, took it on the freeway (the owners wife, who sent in the application strictly told them not to) - which overheated the car. They blew the upper radiator hose off doing all this. Then the crew didn't tape up the exhaust ports correctly and powerwashed it, got water into the oil, and caused massive issues onto an engine with only 30k miles.

But yeah - my car wouldn't be there either, so it's not my problem either.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
He cut the springs because it's TV and they had their "deadline". It's all about the drama.

Springs are engineered to compress within certain tolerances, all of this based on the actual size/tension of the springs themselves. Changing any variable ****s up the whole equation. This is ESPECIALLY important with the springs on modern cars, because they're variable rate! 1 inch of initial travel does NOT equal 1 inch of additional travel. For example, I've been told the TC's springs are 600+lb at their maximum, but they sure as hell aren't in minor corners.

Cutting springs is retarded, plain and simple.
Progressive rate springs are hard to cut. But there is a correct way to do it. PM me if you want to know about it,

Linear rate springs, shit, cut the ******s to your heart's content.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.