Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I removed the antenna off my car. It was very easy, all I had to do was unscrew it. I found a cap to cover up where I removed it at,and I didn't think the super glue was going to be that damn runny. So it got on my trunk and near the area where my antenna was. Great...more costly repairs down the road. I got some water and quick detailer and tried sanding the shit out, but it just looks even worse. I'm kind of pissed that this happened,and I'm so broke, so I can't do anything about it but deal. I wish I had the money to do all these modifications to my car, but I don't. Why are car repairs soooo expensive???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It looks pretty f-ed up...for me anyway, especially since I am a perfectionist when it comes to the paint on a car.
It's going to have to get repainted anyway. I'll fix it someday,and I'll probably end up having the entire car repainted [same color] because there are so many **** ups all over it. Most of them aren't noticeable, but I have an 'eye for detail'. I'll try the nail polish remover on my trunk to see if it gets it off, because that area looks even worse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lemme know if it works! If you can, post up pics, maybe someone can give you tips to paint it so it looks halfway decent before you get it fixed elsewhere!
You know...I actually thought about learning how to paint cars by myself, but then it's like... I'd have to buy the sprayer and the paint and all this other crap and then on top of that, I'd have to do it all in a garage,and I don't own a garage... Plus, I think there's way more too it than just spraying over it. The sanding shit is what really gets me. I would LOVE to learn how to paint cars professionally.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may be going to school for collision repair and car cosmetics, because I do have an interest in body work on cars. I could then learn how to do all of this,and fix any screw ups that may arise.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The acetone in nail polish remover will probably take the glue off, but could potentially do quite a number on your clear. If you give this a try, be really careful.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i use acetone alot at work, id say to try that but be careful not to over swipe to much and hit clean paint as it will eat thru your clear coat. acetone is basically a ink diluter, i would put elbow grease into it, but not overkill on power. then id take rubbing alcohol to it after to remove any streaks of leftover acetone

·
Registered
313 Posts
be warned the acetone might do more harm than good. you can try some on a q-tip the head should be small enough to get the glue and not so much the clear quick swipes. I tried goof off on my old car, someone scratched my mirror (swiped it with their car prolly a civic (lol)) and their paint came off and it did not harm my paint or clear, but i did wash it off after and wax that spot. wayyyyy b4 i knew about compound.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^if you didn't hear it enough already dont use acetone, maybe nail polish remover in moderation.

As for painting your car it's actually really easy, what gives people the most headache is that you need a vented, clean garage. Also, the swiping motion while spraying is tricky. My friends and I actually practiced on all of our furniture which is now Acura midnight blue (ballin) before trying the car. The garage and the wait time is the hardest part if you are going to do it yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. So there isn't any sanding? Like say I wanted to repaint my entire door panel... I wouldn't have to sand everything off, right? Don't you just paint a few layers and then spray some clear coat? This stuff is so expensive though. :notrust:

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yeah there is definately sanding. Prep should always take twice as long as painting. That actually goes for anything! Roughly four layers of paint and 6-7 layers of clear. Yes it is a bit spendy but I would much rather pay $150 on paint and supplies compared to 1k+ for a shop to do it.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Even if you had a garage you need the ventilation. Otherwise you get dirt in your paint and it looks crappy. Just because it's off the list now doesn't mean it will be down the road. Keep meeting people, you will find someone that has a spray gun then just buy them a 24pk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.