Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well once i really get thinking about it i think i am going to buy an older car to completely rebuild. I am happy with my balt where it is now. I will add cheaper mods to it but the header/dp intake manifold tb and ss bumpers with lip kit with new 2 tone paint are all out of the picture until i save for a few months and make my final decision.

I could end up doing everything to the balt at once when i save or i could be buying a new car to build .

looking at late 70s camaros or any other car really

any thoughts here?

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Love me some Fbodies - I still have my '86, definitely needs some work after the wreck, I need to sell it...if you reeeeeeallllly want a project...:laugh:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1965-1966 mustang ftw
68 Camaro SS with a 4spd = <3 lol
Love me some Fbodies - I still have my '86, definitely needs some work after the wreck, I need to sell it...if you reeeeeeallllly want a project...:laugh:

i want a project but not a huge project. My neighbor knows it all about cars. i am looking at under 15k for everything.

he fully built his 80 camaro for under 10. so im wanting something with a body in decent shape too

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Yeah, that aint mine, hahaha.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
88 Fiero- For 15k, you will have a car that will rape the crap out of anything on the street and look good doing it... 3.4 Turbo with 5 speed makes over 400whp with low boost, and will outhandle most top tier sports cars with just coilovers, poly bushings, swaybars, and tires.
1st/2nd or 3th Gen F body
90-04 Mustang GT/Cobra
82 Vette
80s Datsun Z
90-96 300ZX
90s 240SX

·
Registered
931 Posts
2nd gen camaro for the win..

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
88 Fiero- For 15k, you will have a car that will rape the crap out of anything on the street and look good doing it... 3.4 Turbo with 5 speed makes over 400whp with low boost, and will outhandle most top tier sports cars with just coilovers, poly bushings, swaybars, and tires.
1st/2nd or 3th Gen F body
90-04 Mustang GT/Cobra
82 Vette
80s Datsun Z
90-96 300ZX
90s 240SX

liking the fiero vette datsun and 300zx

·
Registered
274 Posts
a first gen fbody that was in a fire and barely has any body left will run you about $5000.
a second gen fbody with a decent body can be had for $6000.
third gens and up are all going to be cheap, until you get into the SS and WS6 platforms.

a fox body mustang 87-93 will be your best bet as the parts are cheap, plentiful, and proven.

However, if you are lucky, you can get the holy grail of all sports cars.... a 93-02 Supra Twin Turbo with the 2JZ-GTE engine.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
I don't think he has $40+k...

·
Registered
17 Posts
naw man u shoudl get a nissan skyline man... lol j/k if i were going to get an older car to rebuild myself i would go with a 69 gto... every one does mustangs and cameros

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you have 10k to put into an old car + rebuilding aiming at under 15k, I would just put it all in the cobalt. You could do a lot to your 'balt with that much money.... That's what I would do, at least.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have 10k to put into an old car + rebuilding aiming at under 15k, I would just put it all in the cobalt. You could do a lot to your 'balt with that much money.... That's what I would do, at least.
its my DD though. I can get the camero or mustang for under 5 and then build it up for 10k easily.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
a first gen fbody that was in a fire and barely has any body left will run you about $5000.
a second gen fbody with a decent body can be had for $6000.
third gens and up are all going to be cheap, until you get into the SS and WS6 platforms.

a fox body mustang 87-93 will be your best bet as the parts are cheap, plentiful, and proven.

However, if you are lucky, you can get the holy grail of all sports cars.... a 93-02 Supra Twin Turbo with the 2JZ-GTE engine.
Even the crappiest 93-02 TT Supra is going to run him $15-20k...

2nd gen F bodies are still fairly cheap, you can score a decent one for $4k with no rust and no crazy miles, and a 350 in it. The 3rd gen never had an SS, the highest trim was IROC- and even those came with 350 autos. I'm not sure if the WS6 T/As came with 350 5 combos- the 3rd gens will be cheap as hell.

Fieros can also be had for dirt cheap, 4k and you can probably score one with 65-70k on the clock. Not to mention insurance will be 2x cheaper than ANY car on that list since it technically qualifies as an econobox- insurance is cheaper than for a Cobalt lol.....

Datsuns, I can't say.. I don't know too much about them.

300ZX- You can get a decent N/A one for $5-6k, but it will have close to 100k on it. You need at least 10k for a half decent TT model, and thats the only one worth buying unless you have the chops to swap in the TT engine or better.

240SX- A lot of these are either DD beaters or show cars, its really tough to find one in decent shape anymore.. And if you do, its gonna cost you.

Mustangs are dirt cheap.. Thats about all I can say lol, I'm not into the old 5.0s, but my friend has 2 and they are ok... You can really go insane modding one of those though.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
274 Posts
im looking for a 90-92 mustang myself (they had forged internals those years) and will be going for 9's. $15,000 in a mustang will get you a solid, reliable, 10 second daily driven, emissions passing vehicle. Just something to consider.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

2nd gen F bodies are still fairly cheap, you can score a decent one for $4k with no rust and no crazy miles, and a 350 in it. The 3rd gen never had an SS, the highest trim was IROC- and even those came with 350 autos. I'm not sure if the WS6 T/As came with 350 5 combos- the 3rd gens will be cheap as hell.
By mentioning the SS and WS6 I was referring to the 4th gens and thats where the cost comes into play. They are still demanding a higher price. As for the 3rd gens, there was the IROC which had the 350 TPI engine, the 305 H.O. was a good version also, but only in the later years (90-92). Ideally, you would want a 1990 IROC-Z with the 350 TPI engine (230hp) and automatic. It was as fast in the 1/4 as the 93 Z28 with the LT1 engine. The best of the 3rd gens. However, to save on money, you can find yourself a 6 cylinder RS model and build that up. The subframes, rear, basic suspension and trans was all the same. Only difference was spring rates and rollbar thickness. Throw in a ZZ3 crate engine and you got a low 13 second car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.