Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I have an 06 LT, and i have a stock front bumper. I wanted to go the SS route and buy the bumper with the fog lights, however going through the dealership im looking at $800 and they wont sell me it without their installation....I went through ebay and i rarely find a black/ primed ss bumper that isnt over priced or already purchased. So i decided I want to buy aftermarket fog lights ($20-$40) and either cut spot in the side lower grill pieces, OR buy the precut pieces for the LS/LT bumpers who have the fog lights, and paint the pieces metallic black to match my car rather than the flat black that i currently have.

-Has anyone made a custom bumper with fog lights? If so pics, and/or comments on how it turned out.

-Ill take opinions or ideas...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Normally i would say go with your first option, because a well done custom job will not only look better most of the time, it gives your car its own personal touch. But that all depends on how much ou trust yourself with that kind of fab work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, i just wanted to get an opinion if somebody has done it already, bc once drilling into the bumper...theres no cheap way of going back

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey guys..i did a custom fog light setup on my LT and all u rele need is a small pair of bolt cutters to get into thos small place in the lower grille... the biggest thing tho!!!! make sure u line up where ur gonna put ur fog lights... and some bondo or gorilla glue

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hay JustMiller, this would be a perfect time to play around with photoshop. Get a pic of the front of your car, and a pic of some aftermarket fogs, and try out different places for them. So cheap, it's free!

·
Registered
97 Posts
jaydub.. do you have any pics? i was thinking about doing this mod earlier but then decided i dont trust myself cuttin up my bumper until i know more about it lol

·
Banned
161 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
this is where i mounted mine... didnt drill any holes used screws already there easily removeable...

the last two are before i painted the stripes and had the rims on obviously

SummitBalt08 added 5 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

and those are the 40 dollar ones from walmart that turn on with a remote... so no wire running to the interior and it takes 5-10 minutes to put on... if you look where mine are mounted then look on your bumper you will see the screws on the underside that im talking about.. really really easy but just a suggestion tho

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long have you had them, and are they good quality? I def like that as a backup!

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey workinprogress...sorry i didnt get back to you earlier about the pics..ill get them over to you asap..ill give a daytime and night time shot.

By any chance did you do them yet..????????

·
Registered
87 Posts
How long have you had them, and are they good quality? I def like that as a backup!
I have had them since about 3 weeks after i got the car early december... they are awesome, no problems yet.. one of the bulbs went out last week but i use them alot so i put 100 watt bulbs in instead of the 55 watt they came with and they are even brighter.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have had them since about 3 weeks after i got the car early december... they are awesome, no problems yet.. one of the bulbs went out last week but i use them alot so i put 100 watt bulbs in instead of the 55 watt they came with and they are even brighter.
so from the center of the car like that do they get all of the road lit up? Cus every time i go to wal mart i look at them and go "well... maybe next time"

·
Registered
87 Posts
yeah they do, they light up off to the side a tad too. you wont be dissapointed. you just got to aim them right and your good to go

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm thinking about cutting out the center plastic grill on mine and placing fog lights there, but I'm also wondering how it would look to puddy the two side parts(the fake grill slits) and sand them flat and repaint them the bumper color. At the moment it's just a thought, but maybe sometime in the future I'll do it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i was getting ready to post the same question and saw this thread...mine has the black plastic grill inserts vs. summits. i thought about taking out the lower outside insert and moding all the inserts for that matter by cutting out the plastic grill from the plastic outside outline and putting mesh wire in there. thinking about forming the meshwire around the foglights while installed. would probably try it but cant figure out how to get those ones out any ideas?

·
Registered
97 Posts
-jay dub.. no i did not do them yet but i might look into those walmart ones or a better brand from advance auto. whenever you have time to send those pics id like to see them

-summitbalt.. do they run off of their own power source or do they connect to the battery?

workinprogress added 3 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

summitbalt... also . did you use niteshade on your tails??

·
Registered
87 Posts
the foglights came prewired, you run the one wire to the positive post and run a ground. easy.

my taillights are off of ebay. they are awesome, then i took 35% window tint over the third brake light sidemarkers so its all black.. heres a couple pics.. i really didnt want to show pics of my car until i finished it next week but owell..

SummitBalt08 added 9 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

i will post pics when im done, im working on it still. but i bought a RKsport front lip and im cutting holes in it for the foglights. it will look good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
summit. what part of ohio you from??

workinprogress added 3 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

also, what brand of lights are those. like the exact type? im headin up to wal-mart tomorrow and want to take a look at them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in Anna, OH near sidney.. 45 minutes north of dayton.

the brand is Pilot foglights. the box has a mustang on it and they are $39.99. the only remote foglights they have.

i got rear window bowtie custom made at a vinyl shop in sidney. i got a black one just like it, make an offer and i can ship it your way if you want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.