Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend was borrowing the family car, a 2004 Mustang (40th edition), and I wanted to see how i matched up against it. As some know its at 190hp, my cobalt is maybe pushing 170-175hp. We ended up racing down a back road in his neighborhood. I think we got up to about 70-75mph and at the end i came out a nose a head of him. He claims he wasnt trying, but then again this isnt the first time I've beat one of his cars and he said that. So my point is, cobalts are pretty quick for a 4 cylinder lol. I no longer give the title of a "slow balt."

I think this should be a randomness type post...but if you have a similar story of your "slow balt" beating one of these "bad ass" muscle cars (or another car that should be faster), that so many people make out to be cool and soop up.... feel free to share :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well im just guessing on the 200hp, but it will be around there...i hope.

Im going to a get a CED intake manifold, 2.4l...Then im going to get a trifecta tune.

Right now I have a PPE header/ dp, dc sport exhaust, and a k&n intake.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I raced with a jetta GTI 1.8T I gess that car has around 230hp anyway we started at 10mph to 100mph and I was taking the lead slowly. I only have a muffler so.... I would say that for a 4cylinder its fast. I also raced with a civic Si 08 , I won. and a acura rsx typeS but infortunatly when I reached 130mph my engine limited me :( so he got me.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The ecotec generally isn't going to be around 200WHP without boost or juice unless you sink major money into an N/A build.

·
Registered
787 Posts
highest hp n/a 2.2 ive seen was 186whp. fully bolted, 3 inch exhaust, cammed, and a very aggressive tune. good luck with your 200hp

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Yea man, I would love to hit 200, if that was achievable I might put some money in my Balt. But your not going to be anywhere near 200. Like Z said above, 160 to 170ish at the wheels unless you go FI.

And I do not like to rag on anyone, but your friends with the 1.8T's and Civic SI's better learn how to drive. If I had a 1.8T and a NA Balt beat me, I would consider buying something faster to compensate for my lack of driving skills.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Yea man, I would love to hit 200, if that was achievable I might put some money in my Balt. But your not going to be anywhere near 200. Like Z said above, 160 to 170ish at the wheels unless you go FI.

And I do not like to rag on anyone, but your friends with the 1.8T's and Civic SI's better learn how to drive. If I had a 1.8T and a NA Balt beat me, I would consider buying something faster to compensate for my lack of driving skills.
truth

no way that a civic SI AND an rsx would get smoked by a cobalt. i beat a buick regal earlier, in fact smoked his ass. but that's also a heavy car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I can get to 200. Im building my engine the right way, no FI on a 2.2l, thats just crazy. Stock internals are not built for that, there is a reason for the SS. Im gonna dyno my car after all my mods and tune so we'll see.

I can believe he beat an civic SI btw bc i have done that too, and also i beat a 2010 mazda 3 2.5l. So thats totally possible.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
not to down you, but the person in the civic SI probably didn't know how to drive. and the mazda 3's aren't THAT fast. putting new internals in your car isn't going to allow it more horsepower, it will just be able to handle more of it. i've got full bolt on's and on a stupid mustang dyno, i only hit 149 whp. everyone says add 20hp to that and that's more the real number i'm achieving, but i don't believe you'll hit 200whp unless you do a shot of nitrous.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Cobalt tom a moderator on another site and .net has full bolt on's, 2.4 manni and TB, tune, internals and a decked head and he is at 180 on a dynojet. Good luck to you tho if you do it you will be the first person to hit 200 without building a full race motor all camed to hell and running on race gas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I raced my friends 01 grand prix. He has homemade exhaust and ebay intake. The only thing I have is a Tsudo Cat back. We raced from 40 - 100 and I held him long enough that when we let off he was catching me. But from a dig he got me on the launch and walked away till about 60.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Best chance at having a fast 2.2 is shaving off 1000 pounds or so.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Only ecotec that can beat an Si is the older ones, 99-00 and than the stupid hatches. I beat a 2004? with my old LS balt that was completely stock. And as everyone said, good luck on acheiving 200hp, or are you talking whp? I dont see it too difficult to get 200bhp but whp you'd need to build a heck of a motor. The balts, non SC or TC are quick, but not really its just a good thing there is a ton of other cars that run 15+ second 1/4s that you start to think you might be fast lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im gonna try my best to achieve at least 190. I believe yall when you say you cant get to 200, but If i do, i'll do a DIY lol. I do believe cobalts can beat SI's though, I haven't just beaten one of those before...Later on once my motor is built I might end up getting a TC or SC, but my car is at 77,000 and I dont think Im going to be dropping $2k+ into it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
In a race with a modded 2.2, without forced induction, and a SI with same skilled drivers, it is not going to happen that the balt wins. SI gets 197hp stock. I just don't see it, like was said earlier unless some serious money was dropped for an NA build, which by that time might as well go with forced induction.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

not the 06 to present ones at least

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.