Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got an 07 4 door cobalt an I don't know Wat to do to it I want to race it but there's Nouthing to tune on this car please help. Il take any ideas.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
...how much money do you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not alot. Really not street racing more of just some power under the hood

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

About 5000

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Please USE THE SEARCH!!! turbos have been covered NUMEROUS TIMES. for 5000 get a zzperformance stage 2 turbo kit, upgrade your clutch and get the necessary gauges and you're good to go until 250whp without blowing your engine. I would stay around 240whp tops to be safe. After that if you want to up the boost, upgrade rods and pistons and you can easily push the engine to about 300whp with little or no problems.

/thread

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Or you can go with a supercharger. On average the whole deal will cost you between 1500-2000.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

And bboy, don't get crazy about the whole search thing. Someone suggested turbo, and he had a question about it. If he started a whole thread asking if you can turbo an LS then the search button suggestion would be appropriate.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Or you can go with a supercharger. On average the whole deal will cost you between 1500-2000.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

And bboy, don't get crazy about the whole search thing. Someone suggested turbo, and he had a question about it. If he started a whole thread asking if you can turbo an LS then the search button suggestion would be appropriate.
I understand but he is spamming. The original post was a very general question that he could have easily clicked on the 'engine' section of the forum to get all his answers in a sticky. He also provided no information about budget, timeframe or reliability/dd issues in his original post, so please understand why I feel tha he is spamming.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
That's true, but its just as likely that the guys a n00b and didn't know where to start. He'll figure it out soon enough :)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
That's true, but its just as likely that the guys a n00b and didn't know where to start. He'll figure it out soon enough :)
Lol whose the mean one now agita? Haha just playin'

To the OP, ZZperformance makes a great turbo kit for the 2.2, but it will cost you the full $5000 to do the build properly, since you MUST upgrade your clutch, and you will need a 2.5" or 3" catback as well, and about $300+ worth of gauges. If you do all the install yourself like me you could probably do the build for about $4000(but I highly suggest you DON'T based on your knowledge)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys yea im a noob. I have been in iraq for along time I just bought this car and its a automatic my friend showed me this site and I really didn't know what I was doing or how to work. But in iraq when we needed help.with something we would just post it on a wall and guys in the unit or compound would reply to and I thoughts how it worked sorry if I pissed you guys off. Thank you sfc.lowder 101airborne.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Its no prob man, we were all newbs once! You didn't do anything wrong really...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Its no prob man, we were all newbs once! You didn't do anything wrong really...
yeah, nothing wrong. I Just figured you were a young kid asking pointless questions without searching, because you typed one long run-on sentence with typos etc. But it's cool, now you know that there is TONS of great info on the site, check the engine section of the forum, you'll find tons of useful stuff.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Start with a Drop. Eibach makes a good kit. Also tinting the windows make it a nice difference in appearance. Then do the basic bolt-ons such as intake, header, downpipe, exhaust, wheels, intake manifold swap. A stage Cam will make the greatest difference

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Sorry guys,but i wanted to know exactly how much horsepower YOUR cobalt pushes off.

And would anybody recommend any chips?
as mentioned in some other threads, chips don't work. I believe all they are is a wiring bypass around the ECU that tricks your engine into running richer, basically using more fuel for nothing (correct me if I'm wrong guys, it's been a while since we've trashed chips)

as for hp...it depends on the year, model and mods on the cobalt...I don't really understand your question.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well My dad is a mechanic at a ford dealership and he told me,the cheapest way to boost up hp os by a chip because intakes run about 230.00 for my cobalt.
I don't want to spend extra money if its not nessasary.

Sorry I'm new to this website and really don't know how to post up on certain threads.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Do not chip your car. It does not do anything, plus it voids your warranty as much as running a forced induction kit. I would suggest if you want to keep any warranty to go with the GMPP Eaton E62 Supercharger kit. I believe its the same setup as the SS Supercharged owners, but your 2.2L should get a little more pickup. Plus, they charge about $2200 for the whole kit.

My first suggestion is to build up the car for the power you want. If its quick power, then go with a Supercharger or Turbo kit for the vehicle. If you turbo it, you want to stay under 8psi max when daily driving. Superchargers are safer to run, especially if your new to car tuning.

For a simple build, I would go with bigger wheels/tires (17X7.5's and 225/45/17 tires), do a FE5 Suspension kit (to have less drag under the car and better ride quality), add motor mount inserts from Prothane to stabilize the engine, run some better brake pads/slotted rotors to get a better stopping distance for the power your gonna add to it, lastly, Supercharge that bad boy and you should be "golden" for a while.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.