Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yah my sub is 400W RMS at 4ohms and apparently my amp is 350W RMS at 4ohms and is 500W RMS at 2ohms...

could i switch anyhow...my brains telling me no but i really want the extra wattage

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you have dual voice coils you can wire it to 2 ohms and then run at 2 ohms but im pretty dam sure you cant use a 4 ohm load on a 2 ohm signal.

youll **** something up.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
a 400watt sub IIRC is only a SVC. Those you can't change to 2ohm. DVC's you can, but again, you are already making enough watts to properly run your sub. If you want more, I'd suggest upgrading the sub/amp to your pleasures.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
what kind of subs do you have? and how many?

i've got two JBLP1022's wired up in a 4ohm load. my subs are 2ohm subs, but with the way they are wired they can receive a 4ohm load which for my amp is 600 watts

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
what kind of subs do you have? and how many?

i've got two JBLP1022's wired up in a 4ohm load. my subs are 2ohm subs, but with the way they are wired they can receive a 4ohm load which for my amp is 600 watts
Why would you do this? Your amp should be 2ohm stable, especially if it's putting out 600watts. You do realize leaving it in 2ohm, you can probably get almost or a little more than 1000watts out of it right? 2ohms = less resistance = more power/volume:weird:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Why would you do this? Your amp should be 2ohm stable, especially if it's putting out 600watts. You do realize leaving it in 2ohm, you can probably get almost or a little more than 1000watts out of it right? 2ohms = less resistance = more power/volume:weird:
i could have easily bought the two same subs at 4ohms and put it at a 1ohm load with 1200 watts, but i'd like to NOT cook my coils thanks. plus they RMS at 400 watts..can they handle more than that? yeah, a whole hell of a lot more but i also have a stock battery and alternator so after i get that fixed i'll be able to turn it up a little more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
i could have easily bought the two same subs at 4ohms and put it at a 1ohm load with 1200 watts, but i'd like to NOT cook my coils thanks. plus they RMS at 400 watts..can they handle more than that? yeah, a whole hell of a lot more but i also have a stock battery and alternator so after i get that fixed i'll be able to turn it up a little more.
Right, I understand that, but if they were 2 ohm to begin with, how would you blow them by running 2 ohm? I don't understand why you would want it to be 4 ohm. In your reply you said you could have bought 2 of them and run them at 1 ohm, to which makes sense because you are decreasing your ohm (to which 90* of the people do), but you are adding ohm, and that doesn't make sense to me at all.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Right, I understand that, but if they were 2 ohm to begin with, how would you blow them by running 2 ohm? I don't understand why you would want it to be 4 ohm. In your reply you said you could have bought 2 of them and run them at 1 ohm, to which makes sense because you are decreasing your ohm (to which 90* of the people do), but you are adding ohm, and that doesn't make sense to me at all.
P1022's are 2ohm, which is what i have. P1024's are 4ohm, which is what i could have bought and ran together as 1ohm but with 1200watts. running 2ohm on my amp would be 900 watts which is more power than i want going through the subs because they rms at 400.

·
Registered
872 Posts
yes i have one sub in a walmart box and a off brand amp, who cares??? lol
lol i have a Dual (walmart sub) and a sony amp (walmart amp) and a homemade box, but it still kicks ass, lol. plus the Dual is 8-ohm and i swear i play that thing loud CONSTANTLY and its never even come close to blowing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.