Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't gotten anything done with my heater in the couple of days since it went completely out, and now the car won't start at all.

Everything is closed on a Friday night except truck stops so I had them install a new starter, but it still doesn't work. At least I was able to get it there and then back home from there by arcing the solenoid (both on the old and new starters) as a temporary solution. Now all that does is make the flywheel spin but no longer starts the engine.

Any ideas as to what could be either a temporary solution until Monday or a permanent fix? With no heater, and now no way to turn on the engine (and a small fuse issue... the cigarette lighter fuse keeps blowing), I'm thinking of what it will take to get another car.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Pull a spark plug out and touch the electrode to the block (this is while it's still connected to the coil), and have someone try and turn the car over. See if you get spark. If so, you might have a fuel issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be a fuel issue if I was able to drive it about 50-60 miles after the 1st time it was started by arcing the solenoid?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
It's possible.

My Camaro had a dead fuel pump at one point - it still worked, but just barely. On prime, fuel pressure was supposed to be 46 psi. Mine came in at 3 psi, and dropped immediately. It would take at least a minute of solid cranking with my foot to the floor on the gas pedal to get the car to even start trying to sputter to life...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.