Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ignition key can not be removed from the switch of my 05 Cobalt. Does anyone have a simple solution or any clue how this is locked by the gear shift? I was only wondering if it was a mechanical solution under the car or in the steering column itself? Money is tight and an overpriced garage is not really an option right now. Thanks ahead of time:)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Its a common problem with the automatic transmission.. Try jiggling around the shifter. Dealer will fix it if you are under warranty..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
this happened to me and ive heard about this alot. It could be anything from the car not being in park, te brakes stuck. Tying pumping the brake, putting the car in park again. Press the button in on the sifter multiple times.

The problem i had was becuase of the aftermarket A/V stuff i had hooked up to my battery the terminal for the car electricity fell off. The car had no power and for some reason the key wont come of the ignition when the car isnt hooked up to the battery. This could of happened because of the vibrations from the sub too kicked it loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ignition key

thanks for the replies. I've tried jiggling the shifter ,which by the way won't come out of park now! And the steering wheel isn't locked. When this first happened the shifter could be moved thru it's range and the car could be started and shut off with the key. But now, after sitting over night, the car is dead. I didn't think there would be any drain on the battery with the key in this position!..we will try to jump the car as soon as I can aquire some cables. The car is not in warranty so i'm still looking for some advice . Just wondering if this could be an easy fix from under the car or something...thanks again.
P.S. ..I'm presently 360 miles from my garage.

·
Registered
324 Posts
try two things, in the fuse box inside the car theres a 2amp fuse..see if thats blown if it is then it wont come out. then try this right under the steering wheel theres a hole or such where you can stick your finger in, inside theres a little notch you have to feel for, theres another release for the key. Hope that helps

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I know lexus has this not sure about cobalt auto shifters, but see if theres a tiny flap somewhere on or around the shifter that looks like it can be popped up with a screwdriver. Try that, it's usually an unlock feature for this sort of issue. If this doesn't exist, then under your steering wheel is a rubber thing. Pull it off, stick your finger in there and play around eventually youll find the "plunger" and it will release the key. Resort to your car manual for this as it explains this in better detail. I'm not too sure what page it's on but it's in there.

Edit: Oh here look what I found try this http://cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161663

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine is the complete opposite, its hard to put in sometimes, and its brand new, but i guess it should be worked in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for the replies. I've tried jiggling the shifter ,which by the way won't come out of park now! And the steering wheel isn't locked. When this first happened the shifter could be moved thru it's range and the car could be started and shut off with the key. But now, after sitting over night, the car is dead. I didn't think there would be any drain on the battery with the key in this position!..we will try to jump the car as soon as I can aquire some cables. The car is not in warranty so i'm still looking for some advice . Just wondering if this could be an easy fix from under the car or something...thanks again.
P.S. ..I'm presently 360 miles from my garage.

this happened to me as well and i had to get he whole shifting console taken out and replaced. dealer should do it for free if its under warranty. no wucim fix in my case sorry

·
Registered
78 Posts
this same thing happend to my cobalt lt automatic i askd the dealer about it they said its a comon thing to go out in the 07 model but ya i had to have my dealer fix it i had to pay 50 dollars for my deductiable. but the price they tried charging me was 250 but the dude didnt know i had the warranty. my key wouldnt come out so i had to unhook the battery till i got it fixed it the shifterlock that goes out

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is all about the shifter engaging the lock mechanism - Ive had the shifter replaced twice in my 06 cobalt because of this - take it to the dealership man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.