Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the ignition lock cylinder in my 2007 cobalt. The instructions say to disconnect the battery and disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.

Does anyone know how to temporarily disable this system to make this repair?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Disconnect your negative battery and wait at least 1 minute. I would also pull BCM fuse 13 (10A in the kick panel) and the SDM fuse in the underhood block (also 10A).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why do it yourself? G.M. issued a recall last fall if I remember correctly. You had to have a problem with it for them to replace it though......

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Why do it yourself? G.M. issued a recall last fall if I remember correctly. You had to have a problem with it for them to replace it though......
Ah, yes, forgot about this. This will take care of it if you hound them. Or if you do it yourself submit your parts cost to your dealer and they will reimburse. They cut me a check on my parts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
They reimbursed me after I got mine repaired.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked the recall up and saw it applies to 2008 and 2009. Do you know if it applies to 2007 as well.

Document ID: 2552146

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

I just called the dealer and had them look it up. There is a special policy if the ignition is locking up. It is not an advertised recall.

Thanks for the information. I will be taking it to the dealer to have it fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UPDATE:
I just got my car back from the dealership. The ignition cylinder was replaced under "Special Policy" 12089. Hope this helps someone in the future. Tonight I am returning the ignition cylinder I purchased.

Kudos to YourCobalt.com members :clap :clap :clap

·
Registered
142 Posts
UPDATE:
I just got my car back from the dealership. The ignition cylinder was replaced under "Special Policy" 12089. Hope this helps someone in the future. Tonight I am returning the ignition cylinder I purchased.

Kudos to YourCobalt.com members :clap :clap :clap
Thanks for that info....
I own a 2006 with an intermitent problem of the key getting stuck in the ignition...service rep at the dealership looked up my car in his computer and told me I was covered .....so i booked an appointment for today, bring the car in at 5H30 this morning before I go to work and when I walk back to the dealership...nothing has been done 'cause the service advisor made a mistake and I'm not covered for a free ignition replacement....

should have known it was to good to be true.........

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Thanks for that info....
I own a 2006 with an intermitent problem of the key getting stuck in the ignition...service rep at the dealership looked up my car in his computer and told me I was covered .....so i booked an appointment for today, bring the car in at 5H30 this morning before I go to work and when I walk back to the dealership...nothing has been done 'cause the service advisor made a mistake and I'm not covered for a free ignition replacement....

Hello

I would like to call your dealer about this issue. If you would like my assistance please private message me more details.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that info....

Sorry you had trouble FL1000. Looks like someone else saw your problem and may be able to help. Let us know how it works out. The members on this forum are quite helpful.

·
Registered
978 Posts
when i try to start it sometimes wont move unless i play with the steering wheel at bit then it will move .thanks for info . im looking into this one .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 5mt 2010 Cobalt XFE w/ 53000 miles, the ignition is locked in the ON position, GM told me there is no recall, is this true? Seems like a common issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Bad switch on clutch pedal or connector disconnected maybe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum. I have bought a 07 Cobalt a couple of weeks ago and the ignition lock cylinder started to stick. The only way to start the car was to juggle the key. Read a lot of post very helpful. Great Forum!!
I went to the local Chevy dealer and they said they would not cover the lock cylinder and gave me an outrageous price on the new replacement. AC Delco 20869121. I bought one off of Amazon. I figured out the key coding and reinstalled back into the car. Here is were my problem is now the key would only turn to start and run position. I pushed the white button under the steering column and the key turned all the way to the off position and was able to remove the key. The battery was disconnected but then was unable to turn the key ever again. I thought the anti-theft was hanging me up so I reconnected the battery. No luck!! Now I'm not able to turn the key to the run position to push the release button to put the old lock cylinder back in. Am I out of luck? Drill out lock cylinder? Any ideas.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah. What happen there was your key code wasn't bang on . You will need to jiggle the key back and forth and hope it moves. Be patient with this process.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

If you can take the covers off and tap on cylinder at the same time it sometimes helps to get it free.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
rmay635703,

We can verify your recall information if you provide us with the last 8 digits of your VIN. You can also inquire about this and other information if you register your Cobalt on Owners Center. You can look into this on the Chevrolet Website. If you have any questions, just let us know via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lock cylinder

Thanks Coby7 for the tip! No luck getting it to turn. I drilled it out and was able to get the original one back in. At least the car still runs!! I tried to private message the ChevyCustSVC but came up with I have to post 10 posts. Any way around that?? Or is ok to post the last 8 of the vin on the forum?

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Orange 07,

I am sorry that you can't send us a message. Please post the last 8 of your VIN or you can email us at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is a little old but I got my paper in September about getting my cobalt ignition fixed. I scheduled an appointment at my local dealer and they said that nothing could be done because my car is R-titled. I didn't think that was right because whether my car was wrecked or not its still a manufacturing problem that should be fixed. But since it wasn't covered and it wasn't such an issue then i didn't care. Now I'm lucky if i can get it to start so my question is does anyone have clear step by step instructions on how to replace the part? I need my car, so I have to fix it now since GM won't. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also having a problem with my 2006 Cobalt ignition cylinder and the dealer doesn't seem to think I fall under the scope of the special policy. Not coming up on there computer somehow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.