Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I pull into a gas station on 86th and 7th in Brooklyn. Stupid me realizing after I turned the car off that I was on the wrong side. So I go to turn the car on, and the key wont turn at all! I giggled the wheel as hard as possible, but nothing! The key WAS NOT STUCK!! The ignition was LOCKED. I could take the key in and out, but it would not turn at all. I tried everything from trying to look for that "plunger" thing under the steering wheel, calling onStar (which was no help at all wtf am I paying them for?!) unplugging the battery. All nothing. Then my dad came. I asked him to bring me the spare key in wonder that my pass 3 key is malfunctioning. But that wasn't it either, cause the spare key wasn't working as well. So now standing there with ALL my windows open, not knowing what the hell I was gonna do, and cursing all over, I decided to try disconnecting the battery for the 3rd time. And then it finally became unlocked!!!!!!!!! Ugh thank god!!! Does anyone know why my car did this???

·
Registered
142 Posts
thats crazy weird...

that happened to me only once since i've had my car, all i had to do was turn the steering wheel to the right as far i could and turn the key at the same time. don't really know why it did it tho...

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thats crazy weird...

that happened to me only once since i've had my car, all i had to do was turn the steering wheel to the right as far i could and turn the key at the same time. don't really know why it did it tho...
nah that wasn't it. i did it so hard i almost broke the steering wheel so that wasn't the problem

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
use to happen to me alot on my car but my key would get stuck in the ignition. it was because where my wires connected to my postive part of my abttery were connected were loose. So from the subs vibration it would disconnect the car from the battery which wouldnt do anything until i turn the car off. Then the key would get stuck and no lights would work. i fixed that but now sometimes it locks because my key chain is too heavy and it pulls the key downward so i cant pull the key out it gets stuck. So i gotta turn my car back on then hold my key chain in my hand so it doesnt pull the key down, then turn it back off.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could be wrong but I think the problem is in the shifter. Make sure its securely in park. The dealer will have to replace the shifter assembly.
5 speed

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i saw the shifter(stick), and ruled that out. Make sure your battery terminals are both tight, and not corroding, check the ground wire for the battery, make sure it's grounded right(dealership does mess up). Does your car have a sub/subs? If so, check the ground first.

These cars have veered away from conventional thinking, and the electronics in the steering column work as kind of an anti-theft system for if the battery is disconnected.

Otherwise, your lock is crap.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i saw the shifter(stick), and ruled that out. Make sure your battery terminals are both tight, and not corroding, check the ground wire for the battery, make sure it's grounded right(dealership does mess up). Does your car have a sub/subs? If so, check the ground first.

These cars have veered away from conventional thinking, and the electronics in the steering column work as kind of an anti-theft system for if the battery is disconnected.

Otherwise, your lock is crap.
They should have been tight, the car is only 4 months old. The car came with a sub stock, and where do I find the ground wire? And what do I check for?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
They should have been tight, the car is only 4 months old. The car came with a sub stock, and where do I find the ground wire? And what do I check for?
the sub does hit fairly hard, so they may have come loose

the ground wire is the connection the negative wire makes to the vehicle frame

just try to follow it back, it's likely just terminals

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.