Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, has anybody found an upgrade for the ignition system? All I can find is spark plugs. I have contacted MSD Ignition, and they say they have nothing at all.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't think there is a performance ignition out for the LS/LT's

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the ignition systems on all versions of Cobalt engines are good for far higher RPMs than the engines will ever see on the street.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you suggest a certain spark plug? I am putting a turbo on. Should I go hottter?

·
Registered
575 Posts
how much boost are u pushing?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Do you suggest a certain spark plug? I am putting a turbo on. Should I go hottter?
If you will be installing a turbo kit the manufacturer should provide you with their spark plug recommendation. If you're building a turbo system (GOOD LUCK!) usually a colder plug is called for. I haven't done enough research on these plugs to give you a number -- someone that has been there should be able to provide information....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know yet. Maybe 8 or 10.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The real problem with the ECI ignition system isnt with the ignition system at all, its with the PCM and the fact that the ignition tables cut out at 6300 or 6400 rpm, meaning you cant add any more advance after that point which necessitates the need for an ign box with programmable retard capabilities and some crazy ignition maps in the PCM

You ccan make an MSD DIS2 system work on a 7x L61.(2000-2006 2.2L)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I contacted MSD Ignition, and they said they had nothing that will work. If you can make a DIS2 system work, how would you go about doing it? Does the instructions tell you how, or did you figure it out?

·
Registered
768 Posts
The real problem with the ECI ignition system isnt with the ignition system at all, its with the PCM and the fact that the ignition tables cut out at 6300 or 6400 rpm, meaning you cant add any more advance after that point which necessitates the need for an ign box with programmable retard capabilities and some crazy ignition maps in the PCM

You ccan make an MSD DIS2 system work on a 7x L61.(2000-2006 2.2L)
I thought I'd see a distributer some where for our cars....or is it made for the LSJ's and you're saying it can work on the L61's?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They do have a distributer for the 2.2, but they say it is for race only. I guess that mean if you are not using factory ECU.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked into making my own ignition system using Gen III coil packs. By the time you get the coils, plugs, plug wires, ignition box, tach adapter, and some other control box that MSD reconminded, you woul have about $2500 into it. And that is not even knowing if it will work or not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They do have a distributer for the 2.2, but they say it is for race only. I guess that mean if you are not using factory ECU.
Yeah, the distributor is for a stand alone ignition system.

Maven added 8 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

If i remeber correctly the MSD 62112 (DIS2)is what guys are running, along with the MSD 8914 Cam Sync Generator(this is to keep from setting trouble codes and allows the engine to operate in sequential fuel delivery mode properly)

MSD says they dont make an igntion for the ECO because they dont, but these two items are what you need if you wanna run MSD on your car. These arent plug and play setups. they require knowledge of the ignition system and what I would called moderate to advanced wiring skills. There has to be a writeup about at JBO or ecotecforum or google. Its not that hard, but it is custom. MSD does not recommend this setup but it does work

·
Registered
135 Posts
I read through the installation instructions for the MSD DIS. Top of page 5 on the pdf states that all factory timing and rev limiters will still function. The only thing I can come up with for a viable use is retarding the timing for a nitrous hit. Am I missing something?

when you are applying boost... a colder plug is reccomended. Go 1 or 2 heat ranges colder than stock.
And for the love of god do not run platinum plugs in a boosted application.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I read through the installation instructions for the MSD DIS. Top of page 5 on the pdf states that all factory timing and rev limiters will still function. The only thing I can come up with for a viable use is retarding the timing for a nitrous hit. Am I missing something?
Modified cars with a raised rev limiter need additional timing or your just wasting your time raising the limit, the stock ECM has no tables for ignition past a certain point, this point is much lower than an ECo with even modest valvetrain mods can rev to. So you become limited by timing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wanted to advance the spark curve to run on 93 and see what kind of power gains it would yeild. Unfortunatly the MSD DIS apparently cant affect this vaiable and I was just curious if I had missed something. which rasies another question. Does anybody know of a piggyback that can advance the timing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.