Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Door dings are always bound to happen, but damn look at this shit. Sorry for the bad quality, I took these with my cell.

This must of been from a shopping cart. It sticks out like a sore thumb in person. The metal is literally caved into the door. How much to you think it cost to repair this? I'm pissed.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it depends on what body shop you get to do it, one shop might make you get a new door skin and others might bondo it, but if they just bondo it back it could cost from maybe 300-700$, thats my take on it, and i work at a body shop...
Holy shit that's expensive. I'm too afraid to pound it. I don't wanna mess up and make it worse.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Holy shit that's expensive. I'm too afraid to pound it. I don't wanna mess up and make it worse.
just take a rubber mallet if you got one and take your time very slowly.. it would probably take a couple other creative measures to get it to look right but it could be done.. you arent going to damage anything further if you thing about how to do it first. (i know id at least try it before bringing it to a shop)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^this.. all depends how far its in on the door.. looks like it might be do-able from pics, but your still going to have those paint chips n such
I could probably use some touch up paint for the chip. But the dent will still be there. It's very windy today so this must of been from a shopping cart.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
yea the dent isnt wats gonna cost you, i could fix that in about 30 min an ready for paint... but the paint is whats gonna cost you the most...
shops screw you over so much though.. my neighbor has his own shop.. he would respray my whole car for $600 if i wanted.. its rediculous how much they charge for simple fixes

·
Registered
134 Posts
just take a rubber mallet if you got one and take your time very slowly.. it would probably take a couple other creative measures to get it to look right but it could be done.. you arent going to damage anything further if you thing about how to do it first. (i know id at least try it before bringing it to a shop)
yeah id at least try to fix it on your own, on further observation it looks like u could beat it out on your own....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea my step dad said the same thing about using a rubber mallet. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
just an educated guess from my standpoint would be a <$200 fix from a shop that charges reasonably (if all they had to do was pound it out then respray the whole door), but yea.. attempt it yourself first

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

best of luck also!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Ok let me first say I do this for a living, you can pound that out but theirs gonna be little dents, and or creases. So body filler will be needed if you want it to look right. Let me also add that there is no such thing as bondo anymore. As far as price it shouldn't be that much, depending on the shop, If I were to guess it would be $200-$500, your biggest thing is gonna be paint materials on this fix, labor wont be much maybe 1.5 hours at the most. And it shouldnt take anymore then two days at a shop.

·
Registered
911 Posts
make sure u use a dolly on the outside of the door wrapped good in rags so u don't scratch the paint...if u just use a mallet without a dolly u may cause an outward dent cuz u have nothing on the other side (u may over hit it is what I'm trying to say)...do little taps, and keep moving the mallet (don't keep hitting in the same place, move it around abit so it makes it even)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.