Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G5
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post here
Im Chris im from Minnesota and this is my baby a White 2009 Pontiac G5 automatic it is my first and only car
My mom bought it a little over two years ago for $2500, iirc we got it at 130k miles but now its at 148500 miles.

At first I hated it because I didn't have a choice, and I also thought it was like the movies where people have muscle cars and tuner cars as first cars. But I have grown to love it and I wish to keep it as long as possible and maybe even buy another as a project.

I plan on getting new wheels, as im just on steelies with hubcaps that has peeling paint. I also want to lower it and do minor performance mods.
But currently the only mod is aftermarket headlights that the old owner put in.

Thanks for taking the time to read this
I am open for suggestions
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Car

·
Registered
633 Posts
Has some potential. You’re lucky it’s a later model. Some engine mods can be done.

Looks like it has 4 lug wheels, meaning you can’t put the SS or Sport wheels on there. That is the case for my Cobalt. It is possible to go through the trouble of installing 5 lug hubs though, although many people have said it’s not worth it since the lug pattern seems to limit the wheel designs you can find. I personally want the fat 5 spoke SS wheels.

Anyways drop springs are plentiful. FE5 shocks and struts are a recommended when using drop springs. I personally don’t want a super low car, so something like the Eibach Sportlines are what I have considered. I may try those on my FE1 struts and see how it goes. I see they are fairly cheap too depending on the seller, I shop around online to find a good deal.

If you have nice paint right now, start taking care of it. The paint on our cars seems to suck as did the same era GM vehicles. The previous owner of my car took no care at all of it and the paint is horrible. I can get it cleaned up and will look nice for about 2 months then the crappy clear coat starts to oxidize and peel at the edges where it’s started to lift. Like I said if the paint is nice, get some good wax. There’s a lot of ceramic waxes that really make the paint shine and don’t wash off quickly. Some I used lasted about a year on our Honda Accord, although it sits in the garage. I used some cheap-o stuff from Simoniz I found at the discount store Ollie’s. I used it on the crappy paint of the Cobalt and it did help immensely. Need to do it again.

Also do your maintenance. I changed all the fluids in my car along with taking care of other preventative things. Aside from a bad TCM, the car has been very reliable for me in the past 2.5 years. Just would’ve been nice to have one that was better kept before I got it. But that’s why I got it cheap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep it washed in the winter. :) Who cares if you spend $20 a week trying to fight the rust demon on a reliable car.

Also the occasional trip to the detailer is worth it if it keeps you from buying something else. Eventually the car will be too expensive or a hassle to keep, so right now the real enemy is being embarrassed in it.

Keeping the body and interior looking good is more important than any mod. Fix any annoying noises (exhaust/suspension) so the whole neighborhood doesn't hear you coming.

Edit: Make sure the oil is always on full. Maybe it's a myth that these engines timing problems are related to running low on oil, but I see no harm adding a cup at a time when the stick is showing below full. Oil is cheap anyways. I try to check mine weekly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts