Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am buying the parts to supercharge my car (slowly) that includes some guages (obvioulsy) i just wanted to know if anyone has seen nested, in-dash, guages? i really dislike the pillar everybody goes with (but i have thought of modding it to lay across the dash, i think it's too much work, but could look cool) i just want all of the info i need coming from the current guage cluster/location.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
that works, and looks cool, i was sorta thinking somthing like this

but that cluster you posted looks cool, it would totally work better than the pillar, how/where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It is gonna take a ton of custom work to make a nested setup in the current cluster. I'm talking about pretty much going on a full blown electrical engineering job.

Anyways, Shink's pod is a fiberglass job. If you or someone you know is decent at fiberglass work, you can make one.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Yeah the pod I have is the cluster bezel around the gauges, made out of pvc piping and fiberglass, sanded down and molded than painted with textured paint and black, to match dash rather easy and quick to make...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that was the other option i was thinking, use some tubing and some fiberglass and fab somthing up myself.... that is, if i couldn't find the nested clutster idea, it doesn't really sound like it could actually happen, is it just due to the mounting of our cluster or is it the creation of said nested cluster has not happened? (or does not exist for our application?) i do have friends that are electrical engineers if i can bounce the idea off of them, maybe get them a cluster to screw around with for a few weeks, i might be able to make it happen, i just want to know what makes it "not possible"

then i'll judge it from there, if it's not as crazy as i think i'll toss it to some electricians and see where it takes me (...yea thats the pipe dream) i'll probly decide it's not worth the work, but hey the sun shines on a dogs ass some days lol

thanks for the info, and i appreciate the idea for the guages

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

glowbalt, thanks for the website and all but, with fiberglass at like $15 a yard, and that cluster costing like $250 i would have to f*ck up over 100 times for the the pre-made option to be worth doing, i mean it looks like i can do this for like $50 and a weekend of cursing my clumsy fingers to death.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well not if the surface is a layer of kevlar, and at $80 or less, compaired to $260+ for what, an extruded plastic piece that i can't customize, f*ck that noise even if i have to make it a few times to get it right, at least then i'll have somthin unique and it will still cost less (seeing as how the fabric is really inexpensive when bought by the yard, even if i get it right with the first shot, i'd have enough material to do it a few times) so all-in-all it's only really worth doing for those who can dedicate the time.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Wasnt one of the site vendors working on a production model of the above pictured gauge bezel/mounting?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.