Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone do a fuel filter on a california/ny car?

I am working on my son's with NU6. (110k miles) filter is in gas tank. looking for a few hints.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
California cobalts have the fuel filter in the tank?

·
Registered
360 Posts
most cars have a fuel sock in the tank to prevent chunks being sucked into the fuel pump.

some have external fuel filters also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
code NU6 california PZEV emissiions, has the fuel filter, and a screen it looks like, inside the fuel tank, along with a fuel pump and level gauge.

More Information for ACDELCO GF828

others have the filter outside the tank.

There does not seem to be a GM recommended change interval, but at 110,000 miles, I think I will do it.

(fixing the car up for another four years or so of use)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The more you know

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since there is no mention of changing the fuel filter in the GM maintenance chart, I decided to not do this as preventative/routine maintenance.

The alldataDIY does have pretty good detailed procedures.

just not sure it is worth the effort, and potential to introduce additional problems in the process ( dirt, broken wires/tubes, leaks....)

If, however, the pump or level sensor develops a problem, would be good to update the filter at the same time. or if there is evidence of fuel supply problems which would point to a clogged filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My Mitsubishi has the filter in the tank, I've never changed it yet but I only have 258000 miles or 416000Kms. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My Mitsubishi has the filter in the tank, I've never changed it yet but I only have 258000 miles or 416000Kms. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
If it was inside the tank I would wait til I had to go in there. But maintenance is supposed to keep you going before it breaks not after it starts causing you problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hate to give the original engineers too much credit, but since there is no GM recommended interval, and it is inside the tank, probably not maintenance in this case.

Probably there for safety. (considering expected quality of Unleaded Regular)

We don't change fuses every six years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.