Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgot where it was but Ive been getting around 17 to 19 mpg. Going to get an oil change soon but what else could I do to improve the mpg? Should I change my spark plugs?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That and check the fuel pump recall.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've seen high mileage cars get a noticeable mpg increase from a professional fuel injector clean as well.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys. Sry for posting this since I know there were similiar posts about it somewhere lol

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Should I clean my injectors before I do my oil change?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
injectors have nothing to do with an oil change. personally I would just put injector cleaner through the gas tank for a couple tanks and that should clean them out.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I think Im gonna do that since my car's at 120k so I want to clean the injectors. Plus since Im getting an oil change Im gonna replace the spark plugs since I think they are still the ones the car came with since new. Plus need to change my transmission fluid because I know thats never been changed. Hopefully that will make my car run like new and get some better mpg numbers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
OK, thks! Then definitely get the fuel system serviced...should be getting close to mid-20's in town/city driving. Something seems to be amiss...

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
A tune up will always help increase mpgs. I would replace the plugs, run fuel system cleaner (Sea Foam is the best), make sure the plugs are gapped right, make sure the tires are inflated to the proper psi (says on the driver door area, I think it's on the frame rail on the car itself towards the rear of the door, it should be white/yellow/black sticker).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tires are suppose to be at 30 psi it says but every car I've owned it was 35 psi. Weird

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Don't drive it hard never past 3000 rpms really

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I always ran about 28-32 psi on my SS unless I was going to be beating it pretty good. Then I'd run about 22psi on the track and about 24ish on the street.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
A lot of people say Seafoam is BS and it doesnt do anything. Its just a smoke show because it has stuff in it that will smoke no matter what.
Used it on my gfs civic she used to have because it had a rough idle. 1/2 in oil, 1/2 in fuel tank, almost a full can into the intake. It smoked for a bit but the rough idle went away and throttle response seemed to be better.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Seafoam's a good fuel additive...run in both HD's and all my small engines, but not a fix for smoking motor. Might want to get that checked...could be valve guide seats, rings, head gasket, etc...

If you're seeing smoke = something worn through.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car isnt smoking. So Seafoamed my car just now. Did like half the bottle in the pcv valve and some in the Oil and boy after waiting 15 min it was a giant smoke show! : ) Went out and drove it and ppl thought my car was broken. Had one guy even tell me Do you know your car is smoking? lol But after I did it my tail pipe was covered in carbon so It had to of done something. Getting my Oil change tomorrow : ) Also gonna replace the spark plugs

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
according to seafoams site you don't have to change the oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.