Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ride is a 2009 Cobalt LT Sedan Manual.

I went and installed some new speakers for my birthday present from the wifey. But now I get practically no bass. I get plenty of mid and high range but really no bass (factory was better then these). Any EQ adjustments do not make much of a difference.

My young daughters have already junked the factories (taught them about magnets). Any help would be most appreciated!

I'm pretty sure I got the wiring correct. I used the diagram here on the Chevrolet Forums.

Rear: Sony-6" x 9" 3-Way Speaker with HOP/Aramid Fiber Cones (Pair)-XSGT6937A.

Front: Sony-6-1/2" 2-Way Component Speakers with HOP/Aramid Fiber Cones (Pair)-XSGTX1621S

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
what kind of head unit or deck is running the speakers? when i replaced my broken speakers with my kickers they sounded terrible because the stock deck cannot power the speakers to the full potential, to properly power the new aftermarket speakers you will need an aftermarket deck or to get amps for the speakers, a new deck is the easiest solution

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the factory head unit. That makes sense though about it not having enough juice to power the newer speakers. Yea! another expense the wife won't be happy with (until she finds out about the exhaust!!)

My daughters learned that metal sticks to them. Had to quickly stop them though from sticking them to the fenders! :laugh:

Anybody got any recommendations for head units? I'd like to keep the bluetooth, XM and iPod inputs. OnStar I don't care for.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i just recently purchased a JVC deck from crutchfield.com, i had a sony explod deck before and it was nice for what i paid for it but i wanted a better quality sounding deck. Pioneer, kenwood and JVC make real nice quality decks for the price. i got the higher end JVC because i have a subwoofer hooked up to mine but it has bluetooth capability, front and rear usb inputs with ipod interface so you can scroll through the ipod through the deck, cd mp3 player and has inputs for XM too i believe...

·
Say What again!
6,324 Posts
Alpine also makes an excellent head unit.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
They're SONY, that's why.....lol

no but in all seriousness, once you put an aftermarket head unit, you will get much better all-around sound, including more Bass. The speakers are being starved right now.

·
Say What again!
6,324 Posts
Well...side note: this settles it. When I put my ADS front components in, the ADS amp will be installed too...plus they're 4-ohm, so the stock unit won't do shit for them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
when my speaker died i put the kickers in and drove around for a week before my deck came, it sounded terrible to the point where i drove around with no music lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonderful tips and information everyone! Glad I switched from a Dakota, those forum people ignored nube's.

I am considering this unit: Sony XNV-770BT Navigation receiver. It has the iPod controls, Bluetooth and Satellite. It should be OK with 17 watts RM/52 peak by itself.

Any opinions on this amp? This thing should bring some life in plus room for a future sub. Boston GT-5750

Sucks though I gotta buy a new Sat antenna, steering wheel interface and the "GM Factory Integration Adapter". But the more they integrate everything the more we need to replace.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Integration addapter might not be needed. Try it without and if your chimes dont work, then yes, you need it. Older models dont need it, new ones i havent tried yet tho.

Wonderful tips and information everyone! Glad I switched from a Dakota, those forum people ignored nube's.

I am considering this unit: Sony XNV-770BT Navigation receiver. It has the iPod controls, Bluetooth and Satellite. It should be OK with 17 watts RM/52 peak by itself.

Any opinions on this amp? This thing should bring some life in plus room for a future sub. Boston GT-5750

Sucks though I gotta buy a new Sat antenna, steering wheel interface and the "GM Factory Integration Adapter". But the more they integrate everything the more we need to replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point acoutu, I had thought about that last night as I'd seen some wiring adapter for the rear speakers that keeps the chimes working. In my install, I've cut them off to splice better. All the chimes work, parking brake, low fuel, etc...

I think my best option is to go for an Amp to get the sound back.

·
Registered
985 Posts
choping off the speakers wont change the chimes at all, its swapping the deck that could cause issues. Its a matter of how much information is controlled by your deck. Your GMLAN line goes into it and displayed info through the decks screen, and this wont happen with an aftermarket.

To be honest, I doubt you'll need an amp if you upgrade the stock head unit. 50watts per channel is pretty decent. But if you get an amp, you get what you pay for. Your 5ch one may be great, but having a dedicated mono block for a sub and dedicated 4ch for the speakers will be night and day and wont drag on the system as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Starting the install Sunday. Should be complete with a 70x4 amp, full guage wires, 4ch LOC....

Sad how I miss how the factory speakers sounded compared to these with just the stock headunit.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have the factory HU powering my aftermarket speakers and they sound good in my 07LS sedan. I did install an amp to power the sub though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finished the install

I finished the install of the JL Audio JX360/4 pushing 70W x 4. It took about 15 hours total. Other than the wrong order of RCA jacks from the Line Out Converter everything fired up perfectly the first time.

I have never heard such musical bliss from any sound system I've installed. I am super happy with the sound and it more than brings the new speakers to life. At 5 ticks about 20 on the volume its more than decent to drown out the road noise.

Thanks to everybody who chipped in on my questions and this thread. The help was very useful and well appreciated.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Awesome. May have taken you a while, but better to take your time with these things, as a wrong hookup and amp damage could be costly, and finding mistakes when things don't work could also take a long time! I knew you'd love the sound of amped speakers :D glad you're happy with it! now enjoy it!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.