Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cruise control & radio controls on the 08 LS (the BC) have worked out great.
Many thanks to Coby7 for his help.
This thread is to document the cruise control activation on the Silver 2008 LT.
Also, we will find out if Cheby installed the extra 4 wires in this LT since it has power windows, door locks, & remote key fob.

We are starting with a leather SS 3 spoke steering wheel (2007-2010) thanks to ebay and ~$60.00 US.
Also since we are using a Cobalt SS instead of a Malibu, I dont need to swap out the air bag.

The last time I saw the car (working on the blend door actuators), i connected the Tech II and adjusted the Body Controll Module (BCM) and set the bit to enable cruise.
Number ONE, Disconnect the car's battery!!!
So we will remove the air bag from the old steering wheel, pull the steering wheel and check if the wiring harnes includes the necessary wires and report back.

I still have the extra wire & pins to add the circuits if needed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surprize , surprize surprize.

success and failier

Poped the plastic off of top steering column and exposed the connector on the back side of the clock spring....
ALL 4 extra wires were there......so no need to add the extra wires.

This AM, pulled the cobalt into the driveway and had the wheel off in less than 5 min and the SS replacement back on.

Pulled out of drive and in second gear engaged cruize......Nice. Radio buttons worked. Light on the cruize button worked. Pulled into nearest drive way to turn around and head to home.....turning the wheel i hear a crunching noise.......from the clock spring.....
Bummer no light on the cruise button.....info button no longer works.........radio buttons still working.

Pulled into drive and removed the wheel. Checking out the clock spring. I can see where a wire or 2 were cut on the ribbon cable....
Well poo.

Reassmbled all and now off to find a replacemnt clock spring.

Bottom line on this 2008 LT, It had all the wiring pre-installed and only needed the buttons & quick BCM program and cruise and radio control
From the steering wheel worked
.......that is untill dad's ham handed pull of the clock spring .........ooops

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Ok
$40 bucks later and a CLOCK SPRING - 2008 CHEVROLET COBALT (20940100) from Green country auto in Parsons, Kansas is on its way to Dallas area.

Should have Parthros wave ar it as it passes by. Dang that toasts me that I flubbed up that ribbon connector.

Daughter is snickering cuz she rarely catches the old man in an oops.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
$hit happens

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I believe if you would supplement your posts with pictures it would help a lot of members wanting to do this. Take lots of pictures and post the ones appropriate to your discussion.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coby, will do and have the images. Will wait a day or so form the new clock spring to arrive.
Turns out the ebay store (GM dealer in Kansas) was out of stock and drop shipping from warehouse.....The warehouse is in Dallas.
Soooooo....
Will post damage, gotchas and OH NOs

The most important image will be the connector LOCK for the connector from the steering wheel into the clock spring.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
New clock spring arrived today.
Started the install at 7:00 finished, tested, tools packed away by 7:30..... with images.

We can see this 2008 LT was factory wired for cruise control & remote radio controlles, yet the car did not have these options installed
NOTICE the red connector locking tab on the SRS connector !!! This locking tab must be pushed out before the connector will release.

New clockspring from GM. It is held in by 4 phillips head screws. The top 2 screws are visible in other images here. The lower 2 screws were removed & replaced with out any fanfare.
Dad pulled too hard on the connector without releasing the connector lock enough, damaging the clock-spring (dang kid:frown2:)

For the image below,....Find the connector locking tab for the steering wheel buttons, wire connector
It is hard to see yet look closely above the 3 pins showing on the left connector...the connector lock is there and must be released before the connector is released from the clock spring

Here is the Yellow SRS connector with it's Red locking tab removed. Next to it is the connector fot the steering wheel functions.
These 2 connectors insert into the forward most side of the clockspring. The clockspring is now removed from the car in this image.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Reassembly is a simple reverse procedure. Finishing up with reconnecting the battery.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Much better, I like pictures. Is that the remote FOB I fixed in the last picture? Do they still work good?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes @Coby7 it is AND it still is. Good catch!

Here is the locking tab that has given me the most trouble.
This is the original clockspring before I dissemble to see how much damage there is

Oh and the red fob (above) is for the BC
In closing, Dads a hero again LC will putter around going from here down to Houston area then back out to Atlanta then back to Dallas area with the confort of Cruise.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update report.
LC took her Silver 2008 LT from TX heading for Atlanta. Now 160mi from destination and loves the cruise control.
She states it makes a he long drive so much better.......go figure.....she can set it and forget it and watch the road.

I think she will get her speedo calibrated on the next trip, and the HVAC air diverter valve cams reconnected.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I wouldn't be able to live without cruise. Best invention on a car ever with DRL close behind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.