Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Brand new to the forum and have been very impressed with the knowledge in here. My hat is off to everyone!

So far I haven't found anyone trying to install a computer inside their car yet. I'm looking to install a mini-PC into my car (Black 2007 LT Coupe) - and just wanted to open up the floor for any suggestions. I'm a computer guy, so the make/model stuff is my domain and I'll deal with it...a 7 inch touchscreen is what I will most likely do..and $400 is my budget. the problem I'm running into is where exactly to put it. I reviewed a DIY 'remove the dash' but wasn't sure if that will get me all the way. I'm looking to possibly completely remove the stock radio. Furthermore I may need to fabricate custom mounts for this thing to put inside.

With all of that said...has anyone seen someone do this already that I could learn/research from? My last vehicle was a Dodge Dakota and I had it for 10 years...and I completely intend to keep my Cobalt for at least 10 (absolutely love this little guy!) So it's about time to start mod'ing this baby. Engine mods are down the road (header and such) - but for my summer project is the computer.

Okay...I've typed enough. Thanks for reading and thanks for any input...if you really have no clue how to advise me then keep me in mind if you happen to learn something later.

*humble bow to everyone*

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Wanna be cop =P Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cop

lol! Hey, who doesn't want to drive around with authority to tell people what to do! :)

Being a computer geek, this just seemed like the next logical step. For now I'm just thinking of playing mp3's through it and hooking up a GPS to it...but the sky is the limit once it's installed.

I did a lot of mods to my dakota (never dropped it...I never understood why you would DROP a truck, but that's just me!).

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
114 Posts
hey just for my intrest what kind of spec are you using for the comp, lol i'm also a comp guy. currently working for HP

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
It would probably look pretty awesome picturing it in my head. But I'd be too worried about my car getting broken into.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are so many options. I would go with a Linux based micro PC. Most Linux micro PCs run off of DC and are cheap. A SSHD would make next to no boot time. For the flavor of Lunix…a net book version is good for boot time combined with a SSHD As for input/output you can do a few things. Head unit with touch screen. Micro Blue tooth keyboard mouse combo. Ohh the ideas I have… Vizier screens…tethered cell connections…the possibilities are endless…

Cheapest option:
Vizier screens
Micro PC/net book with display out.
Wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
haha that sig is clever... but wow I didn't know it mean evil spirit.. o.0

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well, you could also class the kobold as a mythical creature created for the RPG, Dungeons and Dragons

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
car PC

Hi Burksdb..I found a very good deal on a Mini-PC (100$ for the processor, board, and memory). Will drop the link at the end here. I still may do something different.

Besides, I still have to get a hard drive for it. JerseyFlats mentioned a solid state HD...that's a great idea and I'll do that for sure.

Not sure on the operating system yet. With Solid state, anything boots up quick. I know Linux good enough, but honestly I'm not sure I want it in my car. It'll probably be Windows XP (Vista can rot for all I care. :p)

Thanks Xyankees for that link! That will get me in the right direction - but the day of putting a desktop in your trunk is long and over now. Mini-PC's are the way to go. "ChevyCobalt08" mentioned about getting it broken into..that's why I'm leaning towards a 7" touchscreen that automatically hides itself in the dash. That's a MUST.

My initial concern right now is NOT breaking my dash. I've done a lot of exterior work in my past...but I'm a complete newby when it comes to interior. My nightmare is cracking my dash. :(

I'll keep everyone up to date...right now I'm just geeked I found a place that loves the Cobalt as much as I do!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i hear ya there i want to put one in but not in my trunk. if i do one i want to stick it in the glove box or somewhere, lol.

nice find yea the atom dual core will keep power down and also heat and giving u enough performance

as far as the storage you can always do a ssd and install xp, but depending on what you want to store and use it for you might be pusing storage limit i would add some flash drives for music or something which would make everything easy to swap out.

i found this link Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT MasterDrive OX FTM64GL25H 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
which isnt bad for a 64gb ssd.

*** btw have you tried testing out windows 7?
ive been using it solid since oct

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
windows 7

Thanks for the link Burk...giving that one serious thought.

I don't want this thread to dive into a computer-geek discussion, but I think we're safe to go a bit farther here...a few work friends of mine have messed with 7 and I've heard mixed reviews. So actually hearing an opinion from a new "internet friend" will be a great baseline.

With what you know about it - would you give it a thumbs up for using as a media platform in the car? Is it pretty good with handling different media formats and easy to use on a touchscreen? (that may be hard to answer) I'd like to plug in a USB wireless adapter too.

I'm going to pop open the dashboard on Sunday to see what I'm getting myself into. Considering this is real custom, the link earlier about the first car-computer will help.

So here's to the upcoming crazy fun!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
well with windows 7 which i'm using now (windows 7 rc1) it's got much better built in support for touch screen hands down. as far as being a media platform i stream music and video to my ps3 no problem thats about all i can help you with there. but my personal rating would thumbs up for sure. and the rc1 build has built in xp support thru virtual machine kind of hard to explain but very cool. and for the wireless usb that shouldnt be an issue i actually have a harder time trying to find some drivers for vista than 7, lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.