Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are several of you out there that have installed power windows and power door locks. My LS has all manual controls. I would like to hear from those that have installed aftermarket power windows and power door locks.
How satisfied are you with operation and reliability of the power units? I'm especially interested in hearing from someone that purchased one of the kits from eBay for about $80 or so. I'm going to install everything myself but need some suggestions for which kit to purchase.

Thanks for all the help!

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
my neighbor did that to his sunflower, and he said he went through hell to get it done. he said it wasnt worth it, but im with ya man, im gonna do that soon too.

·
Registered
317 Posts
my neighbor did that to his sunflower, and he said he went through hell to get it done. he said it wasnt worth it, but im with ya man, im gonna do that soon too.
i didnt know that you could put power locks on a sunflower, i really didnt know that. and power windows now thats just insane!!!! because i had no idea that sunflowers had locks or windows, i thought that they were just flowers..... i bet that you meant sunFIRE but thats cool im just busting chops today

·
Registered
455 Posts
i didnt know that you could put power locks on a sunflower, i really didnt know that. and power windows now thats just insane!!!! because i had no idea that sunflowers had locks or windows, i thought that they were just flowers..... i bet that you meant sunFIRE but thats cool im just busting chops today
man you have been busting chops today lol. i saw your post on another thread too. you having a bad day?
on another note: i have seen people do it, but it would take some doing. you have to run wires and so forth, but if you like working on your car and don't mind it, go for it. i do stuff like that thats a pain just because i love working on the car. even if the end result isn't worth the hassle, its just fun to do the work. i'd say go for it

·
Registered
317 Posts
man you have been busting chops today lol. i saw your post on another thread too. you having a bad day?
on another note: i have seen people do it, but it would take some doing. you have to run wires and so forth, but if you like working on your car and don't mind it, go for it. i do stuff like that thats a pain just because i love working on the car. even if the end result isn't worth the hassle, its just fun to do the work. i'd say go for it
actually im having a great day lol, i love busting chops! its just fun for me to do, and since i dont have any classes that i can debate in, i might as well do it on here lol. and yeah i have added power locks to an 82 firebird and it was a pita, but worth it. never added power windows

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've put keyless entry on a car with power locks but I've never installed power locks on a car with manual locks. Seems like it will be fun! I do like working on cars and would not consider having someone else do if for me. I've gotten so used to power windows and locks and don't want to do without them anymore.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've put keyless entry on a car with power locks but I've never installed power locks on a car with manual locks. Seems like it will be fun! I do like working on cars and would not consider having someone else do if for me. I've gotten so used to power windows and locks and don't want to do without them anymore.
do it, and make sure to take a bunch of pictures while your doing it so that you can post a nice writeup on here. that would be of course so i could look at the writeup when i get bored :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I in the process of doing it now, changing my manual locks to power and manual windows to power. I'm actually redoing the entire interior of my car. I will post up picks and stuff after, maybe a how to. Just be patient cuz i've been sick as of late. Not really that complicated tho.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had an aftermarket place do it for free (dealer ate the $ - long story) but all in all it cost about $1,100. That included power windows, locks, alarm, cruise and auto start.
But the cool thing is that they are all wireless. So I could move the controls wherever I want.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had an aftermarket place do it for free (dealer ate the $ - long story) but all in all it cost about $1,100. That included power windows, locks, alarm, cruise and auto start.
But the cool thing is that they are all wireless. So I could move the controls wherever I want.
that sounds nice. it would be funny if you were on the highway with the cruise set and your passenger got ahold of the cruise controls lol i would defiantly mess with you if i were a passenger

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
haha. i just bust his cops cuz he says i have a gaybalt im like ok at least i dont have a sunflower. but remember, for the power windows you gotta do some upholstering,

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i recently had keyless entry put into my car which is an ls without anything power all they do is just put a solenoid in on the arm to the locks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone on an older thread suggested putting the window controls in the center console rather than messing with the door panels. I'm thinking about putting them on either side of the e-brake at the front of the recessed portion. That would also eliminate the need for a passenger window control on the drivers door since they are both in the middle. Has anyone done that?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Someone on an older thread suggested putting the window controls in the center console rather than messing with the door panels. I'm thinking about putting them on either side of the e-brake at the front of the recessed portion. That would also eliminate the need for a passenger window control on the drivers door since they are both in the middle. Has anyone done that?
Thats where mine are located. It's not too bad actually. The one thing that I dont like about going to power windows is I had to get a "cap" to fit over the hole where the window crank was. Nothing that I can/want to remove and re=do as it's handy in the event something happens and you have to manually have to open the window.

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
thats what im gonna do when i do mine, but right above my shifter. one on each side. i talked to this dude and he said it's way harder than doing it in each door, but shouldnt be too difficult, just takes time.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ya mine was fully installed and warrantied for $150 so if anything goes wrong i just go back to the place where it was done

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.