Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go NA and I'm buying the AEM CAI next week. I just had a few questions about the intake manifold before I place an order. The manifold just connects the intake to the engine, correct? It's what lets the air through the butterfly valve when you press the gas? Also, are intakes manifolds "universal" as in any intake will connect to it, you just have to get one for your engine size? I don't want to buy an AEM intake and find out it wont fit an aftermarket manifold. :notrust:

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Your post is kinda confusing..

Anyways, the intake system goes in this order: Intake (stock or AEM in your case) throttle body, intake manifold and then the motor. as far as i know there are no aftermarket intake manifolds for a naturally aspirated cobalt. The only upgraded manifold for the 2.2 is the 2.4 manifold. but either way, the intake will still be the same.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
what would have to be done if i got a 2.4 manifold for my 2.2
Well really depends on what year your car is. If you have an 05/06 you will need a TB adapter plate or a 2.4 TB.(will require tune with TB) If you have an 07-09 All you will need is the manifold itself and the seals as well as a longer brake booster hose.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your post is kinda confusing..

Anyways, the intake system goes in this order: Intake (stock or AEM in your case) throttle body, intake manifold and then the motor. as far as i know there are no aftermarket intake manifolds for a naturally aspirated cobalt. The only upgraded manifold for the 2.2 is the 2.4 manifold. but either way, the intake will still be the same.
Probably because I have no idea what I'm talking about lol, hence this topic. Ok so if I can't upgrade the manifold, my stock manifold will do right? I'm just trying to make the fastest NA Cobalt I can and so I want to upgrade and squeeze every bit of performance I can out of every upgraded part. What exactly is the purpose of both the throttle body and intake manifold? And will upgrading them / changing them out affect anything?

I want to focus my first few mods on the "intake system" and I know everything there is to know about the intake itself, I studied the hell out of it. Before I buy one though, I just wanted to know if it's possible to change out or upgrade an intake manifold or throttle body for performance, and if an AEM will fit on a new throttle body. This is extremely difficult, I don't even know what I'm trying to say haha.

But will putting the 2.4 manifold on my car do anything?

·
Registered
720 Posts
You'll gain a bunch of top end power from the 2.4 mani swap...Don't worry about the intake fitment (it will fit fine). You can do a 2.4 throttle body as well, but will need to get a tune for it to run (the car will go in limp mode if you use the 2.4 throttle body with no tune). The manifold itself can be bolted on and go without a tune though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.