Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all! Im new to the site, and got a few questions. I Recently bought a 2008 Cobalt Sport. And love it btw. But i'm interested in starting some mods.
The first mod im interested in is the Intake. Now my car has the stoke air intake box, but im kinda low for cash atm. What would be the best bet for me as of right now? Is it worth buying a Con filter to replace the box, or what should i do?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome to the site.
You could replace the stock filter with a K&N until you can install the CAI.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
AEM has a single piece designed one that you can get for about 230-240 or Injen has a two piece designed one which is great cause you can use it as a SRI or CAI

·
Banned
292 Posts
both of your are wrong, about the warranty. depends on the dealership he has in his area...

anything changed to a vehicles that can be found to have caused the/a problem will void a warranty. if you have a strict dealership, leave your car stock unless you don't care about warranty and are willing to pay for problems you may run into.

if you have a laid back dealership, mod the hell out of it, as long as your not doing force inductions nitrous etc, taking the motor apart and rebuilding they should still cover most things that could go wrong.

the dealership has to be able to prove that whatever you did cause the problem. most lawyers and judges are going to take the word of a dealership before they would you or some shade tree mechanic. just keep that in mind. i mod my car, but i also accept the fact that if something goes wrong i'll have to pay for it if they think/feel one of my mods caused it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well if you are mechanically inclined and know what you are doing then you wont have anything to worry about but if not just be careful cause you will pay quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
My dealership has never said a word about my intake or my other of my mods for that matter. But if your really worried about it, return it back to stock before you take it in for warranty work. Simple as that! its a 10 minute job. The GMPP is not worth the money IMO. Go with the K&N short ram or Injen. And save your money on the K&N drop in filter. You will not even notice the difference.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
both of your are wrong, about the warranty. depends on the dealership he has in his area...

anything changed to a vehicles that can be found to have caused the/a problem will void a warranty. if you have a strict dealership, leave your car stock unless you don't care about warranty and are willing to pay for problems you may run into.

if you have a laid back dealership, mod the hell out of it, as long as your not doing force inductions nitrous etc, taking the motor apart and rebuilding they should still cover most things that could go wrong.

the dealership has to be able to prove that whatever you did cause the problem. most lawyers and judges are going to take the word of a dealership before they would you or some shade tree mechanic. just keep that in mind. i mod my car, but i also accept the fact that if something goes wrong i'll have to pay for it if they think/feel one of my mods caused it.

i was not wrong. just like you said, they cant void it unless they prove you messed something up. instead of writing a book i was just assuming we all know how to put on an intake correctly without F***ing it up

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
calm down:laugh:, your both right. you just have diff. ways of going about it. its not even an issue anymore really. as long as you dont over oil the filter, you wont have any cel's anyway. and if you want to put aftermarket mods on your car yourself, you just have to be willing to deal with it. if not just pay for gm mods installed by dealer techs!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so i read all of your responses to my question. And with my price range atm, im thinking about Changing to the box to the Drop in? I was looking at the stock box intake and just before the air box is the MAF sensor i do believe. If i remove the box it has nothing to connect to ? How will that work?

lol so if someone could possibly Give me a low down on how to replace the Air box with a Cone That would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks agian

·
Banned
292 Posts
hey go with the injen intake, it wont void the warranty, and you can do either cai or sri
like i have said a thousand times in this post any modification to a vehicle other than factory options will void a warranty if the part is found to have caused the problem occuring, likely hood that a intake will cause a problem is slim, but if you install one and your maf sensor goes out... good luck getting dealership to cover cause they wont. not only that but lets say that you have flooded roads in your area and the intake sucks water onto the block and pow... def wouldn't be covered under warranty.

so you can't say it wont void the warranty, cause it could. it also depends on how picky your dealership is only way for it not to void warranty is to get the gmpp intake and have your dealership do the install this the ONLY way to have it NOT or EVER void the warranty. /close thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
like i have said a thousand times in this post any modification to a vehicle other than factory options will void a warranty if the part is found to have caused the problem occuring, likely hood that a intake will cause a problem is slim, but if you install one and your maf sensor goes out... good luck getting dealership to cover cause they wont. not only that but lets say that you have flooded roads in your area and the intake sucks water onto the block and pow... def wouldn't be covered under warranty.

so you can't say it wont void the warranty, cause it could. it also depends on how picky your dealership is only way for it not to void warranty is to get the gmpp intake and have your dealership do the install this the ONLY way to have it NOT or EVER void the warranty. /close thread.
yea it could, also water getting in the intake is not easy, it will only suck water up into it if it is submerged in water.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
all im gunna do is laugh.

musta hurt someones feelings!! haha

but your still not right and your actually contrdictiing yourself! just putting something on your car DOES NOT VOID IT until as YOU and I have BOTH said it causes a problem that THE DEALERSHIP MUST PROVE WAS YOUR DIRECT FAULT IN INSTALLING IT.

meaning that if your maf goes they would have to spend the money to prove it was from that before they can void your warranty

and if you suck up water then that is your own fault and it would be voided BUT NOT UNTIL SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENED!!!!!

simply putting something on yout car does not void your warranty.

i have extra tissues if anyone needs one.

end of discussion

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.