Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around here for a post such as this, but now... Well, you get my point.

I have been looking on eBay for the best deal on a CAI, and have found some generic items. Here's one of the few I found...

This first one is listed to be for an EcoTec 2.0L.

And now, here's a name brand intake for the 2.2L...

Now, is it me, or do the 2.0L and the 2.2L have (generally) the same intake? :confused:

Sorry if this sound's like a newbie question, I just don't have SS/SC I can glance at every once in a while. lol!

Thanks! Tec

·
Registered
673 Posts
The difference is the 2.0 intake goes into the fender on the drivers side of the car so it is essentially a cold air intake from the factory. The 2.2 intake goes to the passenger side of the car and has the box in the engine bay.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a huge difference between intakes for the SS/SC and the other Cobalt models. The SS/SC's intake actually goes down and out of the engine bay (where the other models windshield washer fluid tank is) where as the intake on the NA models is basicly a short-ram.

One intake won't work on both cars... but the 2.4 & 2.2 intakes are the same.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The engine bay of a SS/SC... if you were curious... note the intake going the other way.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Thanks for your help. One more thing, has anyone attempted using the 2.0 intake on the 2.2L? To me it looks like it would fit perfectly, with little or no modification.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah, they changed to a coil on each plug style ignition sometime in late 06 or 07. Probably with the SAI system that comes on those later model chassis's also.

Tecfreak, get rid of your oil cap extender if you're running the motor without the plastic/foam cover. It looks goofy with it and the cap will still work fine when you take it off.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
How would i go about removing the oil cap extender...just pull?
it just twists, then pull. you may need slip-joint pliers for it, just to get some more strength into it

tec's valve cover is exactly like mine, my cobalt was early 06

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, no, I just had the cover off for a minute. I put the cap back on so I wouldn't lose it in my messy garage.

For the pipe, you have to imagine using it backwards. With the bent end going into the throttle body, and the straight end would have the filter connected. I'm trying to find an image with a better angle, no luck so far.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gm Cai

Here is a pic of the GM CAI installed on my car

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha, I don't want to that much on a pipe. Thus, here we are. How much did you get that one for? The best I could find for GM is around $250.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally found one at the almost perfect angle. This one is for the 2.0L, imagine using it on the 2.2L. Works?

·
Registered
768 Posts
It'll probably it your strut tower. Just curious as to why you're trying to use a 2.0 intake on a 2.2? If you wanna go custom there is a site that sends you a kit and you mock up your setup and you send it back and they'll make it for you.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dduffy2005 said:
Just curious as to why you're trying to use a 2.0 intake on a 2.2?
Well, I found the 2.0 intake for $150 cheaper than the 2.2L. And I don't want to spend $200+ on a 2ft. pipe. If I could, I'd just shove a cone filter on the throttle body and call it good! lol! But, the sensor and heat do prove to be a factor, so. It was either this, or making one for a silicone site. I'm just looking to see if anyone else thinks it would work, or even if they tried it.

Just trying to spend wisely...

dduffy2005 said:
If you wanna go custom there is a site that sends you a kit and you mock up your setup and you send it back and they'll make it for you.
What custom site are you talking about?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well, I found the 2.0 intake for $150 cheaper than the 2.2L. And I don't want to spend $200+ on a 2ft. pipe. If I could, I'd just shove a cone filter on the throttle body and call it good! lol! But, the sensor and heat do prove to be a factor, so. It was either this, or making one for a silicone site. I'm just looking to see if anyone else thinks it would work, or even if they tried it.

Just trying to spend wisely...

What custom site are you talking about?

I've been searching but I can't seem to find it. I know I've seem it before.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ok im try to put a aem cai on my 06 cobalt ls and i cant figure out what to do with the litle hose that goes to the air box can anyone help me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.