Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble finding a full air intake system for the 2009 2.2L. So far I have found the GM and K&N systems. Looking for a dry intake this time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Are you looking for cold air or short ram? When you say dry intake do you mean dry filter rather than oiled?

AEM, Fujita, Injen, K&N, GMPP are your options (probably forgot one). 4 out of 5 people will probably recommend the Injen. I do. It has both SRI and CAI capability. It does have an oiled filter, but you can always buy an AEM dryflow filter to replace it with.

I will be upgrading to the AEM dryflow filter in a few months. I figure I might as well get some use from the Injen one first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the 2007 will fit the 2009 (Injen)? I was looking for a dry filter, you are correct. I would like to get a plastic intake. I think it keeps the air a little cooler.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I guess the 2007 will fit the 2009 (Injen)? I was looking for a dry filter, you are correct. I would like to get a plastic intake. I think it keeps the air a little cooler.
All intakes will fit all years. Also all 2.4 intakes will fit 2.2's. As far as I know there are no plastic aftermarket intakes. But honestly it really doesn't matter. THe air is rushing through the intake piping so fast, that it doesn't have time to get hot.

IMO injen or K&N is the way to go!

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey this may seem like a stupid question to you guys but whats the difference between the oiled filter and dryflow filter?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Some say that an oiled filter can damage the Mass air flow sensor (MAF) because the oil comes off the filter and gets on the MAF. But this is only true if the filter is OVER oiled.. I have had an oiled filter for 3 years now.. NO problems with my MAF

The dryflow filter is just like a paper filter that is not oiled

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
All intakes will fit all years. Also all 2.4 intakes will fit 2.2's. As far as I know there are no plastic aftermarket intakes. But honestly it really doesn't matter. THe air is rushing through the intake piping so fast, that it doesn't have time to get hot.

IMO injen or K&N is the way to go!
Even though my intake is hot to the touch after driving?

·
Registered
328 Posts
so is there a filter option when buying an intake or is that a separate purchase

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone have pics of installs? I like the Injen (how it comes down for more air). Is it to far down rain would get in?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
so is there a filter option when buying an intake or is that a separate purchase
No you just get whatever filter the manufacturer makes.

anyone have pics of installs? I like the Injen (how it comes down for more air). Is it to far down rain would get in?
Here is a picture of my K&N..

With a full CAI you do have a chance of sucking up water, but you would literally have to suck up a real good amount for it to actually hydro lock a car. And for that to happen, you would have to drive through like a foot and a half of water.

The most that usually ever happens is the filter gets wet ans sometimes gets the MAF wet making the car temporarily run funny. So it is a good idea to get a hydroshield to put over your filter.

Injen Hydro Shield

·
Registered
496 Posts
No you just get whatever filter the manufacturer makes.

Here is a picture of my K&N..

With a full CAI you do have a chance of sucking up water, but you would literally have to suck up a real good amount for it to actually hydro lock a car. And for that to happen, you would have to drive through like a foot and a half of water.

The most that usually ever happens is the filter gets wet ans sometimes gets the MAF wet making the car temporarily run funny. So it is a good idea to get a hydroshield to put over your filter.

Injen Hydro Shield
Is there the possibility of having a SRI getting wet even though it's tucked up in the engine compartment? if so, would it be beneficial to get a hydroshield to put over the filter?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It might ever so slightly get damp, but nothing to worry about.. I live in a crazy climate and I wouldn't waste my money on one unless i had a full CAI

·
Registered
496 Posts
It might ever so slightly get damp, but nothing to worry about.. I live in a crazy climate and I wouldn't waste my money on one unless i had a full CAI
right on. i live in arizona, so it doesnt rain often. sounds good to me. thx

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't buy that unless you can get pics of it out of the box. A while back the K&N factory cought on fir and they lost the mold for the 2.2 intake. So they have not been made in about a year. But there are still a few floating around. YOu can use the one for the 2.4 though. It will still fit just fine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't buy that unless you can get pics of it out of the box. A while back the K&N factory cought on fir and they lost the mold for the 2.2 intake. So they have not been made in about a year. But there are still a few floating around. YOu can use the one for the 2.4 though. It will still fit just fine.
so what would be the difference in performance if any since i have a 2.2L LS?

·
Registered
317 Posts
i believe that summit racing still has them in stock

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.