Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the plastic hose that goes into the airfilter box, at the top right
corner on my 2007 2.2 ls cobalt? and should i hook it up to my cold air intake???????

·
Registered
96 Posts
huh?? U mean the breather hose????

·
Registered
33 Posts
that sir would be your Secondary Air Injection hose (SAI). It's a pain in the ass for 2.2l owners that have it. I think all it does is add fresh air to the exhaust manifold (greener car). Only one aftermarket intake works with it, the k&n typhoon system. You could also put a small filter on the end of the hose if you wanna use another intake, i heard that works as well. But if you just disconnect it, it will throw a CEL. Also, with that you cannot run an aftermarket header either. Part of california and new york emissions garbage I believe.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Good thing I live in Illinois

·
Registered
33 Posts
i live in PA and still have the damn thing, no idea how my car ended up with it but supposedly a good majority of late model 2006-2007 2.2's have it. If not all....

·
Registered
594 Posts
I drive a 2006 cobalt and I don't have that crap on my car thankfully

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope i tried disconnecting it and it would not idle right so i had to put stock back on, for now i will modify my cold air for my car with no prob. when i get a chance anyway. but yeah that sai has to have air forced from the air intake through to the "hose"

thanks for letting me know, and i can still hook up this cold air intake for sure, i will deff. [post pics when finished.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have SAI on my car and i just cut the hose and let it suck in dirty air, because the air that it take in just goes strait out the exhaust. It wont set of a CEL if you let it sick in dirt air i asked the dealer

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Was that intake a kit, or did you throw it together? Could I get that sort of stuff at strauss?? I never saw much there as far as rough parts like that... Mostly some tools and replacement parts. Nothing you can "build" with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got all that stuff at autozone and yes i put it together by myself, and it requires modding some parts, unless you dont have the sai intake sys.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to use that flexible hose on your Throttle Body...at WOT your engine will be sucking in some serious air and it's hard to believe that the flexible hose isn't trying to "suck" itself closed!

Also, if you are talking about the hose from your valve cover to the breather, that is part of the PCV (positive Crankcase Ventilation) system -- it is where the engine brings in fresh air to the crankcase to help burn bypass fuel/air mixture in there. It is drawn into the intake by a orifice in the center of the intake manifold where it bolts to the cylinder head.

When you take off your plastic engine cover do you have a valve sitting on top of the exhaust manifold -- and does your exhaust manifold look like cast iron or welded steel tubing? valve and welded steel manifold = SAI

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
it don't its not that flimsy at all it works very well i have checked it out in all ways but thanks for the opinion

cobalt-z added 0 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

ohh and thanks i was wondering what that was.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to use that flexible hose on your Throttle Body...at WOT your engine will be sucking in some serious air and it's hard to believe that the flexible hose isn't trying to "suck" itself closed!
I agree. Its also probably more restrictive than the stock intake. All those bumps and ridges don't allow for smooth air flow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.