Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new and I don't really know much about modding cars at all, but I just recently bought a 05 Cobalt LS coupe. Anyway, I was looking at some cold air intakes for the cobalts and all the ones that I've been to say SS by the name. Now, I'm confused because I don't know if I can also use these for LS coupe models.

I'm not really into wanting to fully mod my car, I just need a few modifications that'll let my car accelerate faster than how it does right now. I hate the delay my car has right now when I just want accelerate fast when I want to..

Anyways, thanks for any responses.

-Gary A.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ LS, LT, Sport, and SS 2.4 can use the same intake. See my avatar...

SS/SC is completely different as the air filter is on the driver's side of the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Oh ok, thanks. That's good to know. Now, the other thing, I was just reading the Intake System thread and was wondering if I needed all those things that the person listed for whatever it is that I wanted to do. I'm looking at Ebay and this is what I was thinking of getting for the intake

eBay Motors: COLD AIR INTAKE 05 06 07 CHEVY COBALT SS SUPERCHARGE BL (item 160199086652 end time Jan-21-08 20:45:01 PST)

Now, is this all I would need or is there more??
The intake you show from e-bay is for an SS/SC - SuperCharged. You can't use it on a LS. Also, take a look at your air filter box -- do you have just a tube going to the throttle body or do you have a second smaller hose coming out of the top of the air filter box?

My recommendation: Get the GMPP intake and the GMPP performance cat-back exhaust to start with. GO to crateenginedepot.com and click on "Cobalt/G5 performance parts" on the left of the screen -- there's a lot of parts listed for your car from GM.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Buy an intake system from a good company like K&N, AEM, or GM Performance Parts. Don't go cheap with anything. A drop in filter will also give u a freeer breathing engine but a CAI will yield more performance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Something doesn't look right with the 2.2 intake you posted from e-bay. Take a look at the picture -- if that intake is for the 2.2 look at where the MAF sensor mount is. The wiring for the MAF sensor will not reach to where the filter is.
It's put together wrong. I've bought one from eBay before and all you do is swap the tube around. Whoever took the pic put it together backwards.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hahahah ^^ typical

S

·
0 Posts
I would definately stick with a major name brand and not one of those e-bay specials...

·
Registered
162 Posts
agreed. My intake is Injen. Love it xD.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have AEM and I love it as well. The first intake I bought however, was one from eBay and worked fine and threw no codes. If you chip in a few more dollars, you can always get a quality used intake on the classified boards on this site and on css.net.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool thanks everyone for all your input. This is the first time that I've ever modded a car. I'm excited even though it's a small thing like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.