Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I got my balt, proper cleaning hadn't been done, and I was stuck with stains on the fabric of the driver side door. It looks like they left the window down when it rained, and rubbed their dirty (and I mean dirty!) Arms all over it. I would attach a pic, but for some reason the app won't let me.
So, my question would be, what would be the best type of product to use to get this out? I'd like the inside of my doors to look nice!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Finally got it

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
You wheren't joking when you said dirty! :p Have you tried soap and water with a rag? That's the only thing I could really suggest, other than that, I'd suggest fabric paint, try painting them, or reapolster them, :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
mmmmm love the smell of mold in the morning

·
Registered
455 Posts
a good carpet cleaner (oxy clean works for me) a scrub brush, and alot of elbow grease

·
Registered
353 Posts
I suggest this:
Car Interior Cleaner | Clean Car Carpet | Upholstery Cleaner
Works extremely well on upholstery and carpet stains.

If the staining is from mold, you might have to go with something more potent, like hydrogen peroxide or a mold killer but that gets expensive...I know because we make the stuff ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there is no smell coming from it luckily. Ill give anythi g and every thing a try. Hell, when I got it there was potting soil spilled everywhere in the trunk, and dog fur covering the back seats. I was able to clean it, but the door has been hell. My baby just needs a good deep clean...thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it!:)

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
If you go to autozone theres a foaming carpet cleaner in a yellow can not sure what the name is, ran out of it couple weeks ago. But man I sprayed it on the stains and they were stains in the car since I had it then let it soak in for about 2-3 mins to loosen the crap up and take a scrub brush and scrub it out and vac the spot and bam clean.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Oh, and be careful. Read the back of the bottle and make sure it's good on all fabric. I used some that apparently wasn't OK on all fabrics and it actually stained it.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you go to autozone theres a foaming carpet cleaner in a yellow can not sure what the name is, ran out of it couple weeks ago. But man I sprayed it on the stains and they were stains in the car since I had it then let it soak in for about 2-3 mins to loosen the crap up and take a scrub brush and scrub it out and vac the spot and bam clean.
I think its called "tuff stuff"...tried it...nada:( ill look through all the products suggested to make sure they're safe to use on it. Its just aggravating.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
To be honest, with those panels, the fabric on them is a lot like felt in most ways. It can't really be cleaned easy at all. Most people just respray them with fabric paint.

As far as the looks, that is water staining from a window being left open, not a dirty person putting their arm/hand on it lol. If that were the case it would be more of a dark grey/black color as skin oils tend to turn things in cars a dark grey/black color.

However, if you're DETERMINED to clean it, lol, use a vacuum and vacuum the whole panel before doing anything. From there I have used RAGGTOPP convertable/fabric cleaner and that has worked before, and it took out some DEEP stains. However, some have said just wetting the whole panel down again and vacuuming dry with a wet vac could get rid of the stains, but from the sounds of it, yours are pretty set in and need some work to them :).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
To be honest, with those panels, the fabric on them is a lot like felt in most ways. It can't really be cleaned easy at all. Most people just respray them with fabric paint.

As far as the looks, that is water staining from a window being left open, not a dirty person putting their arm/hand on it lol. If that were the case it would be more of a dark grey/black color as skin oils tend to turn things in cars a dark grey/black color.

However, if you're DETERMINED to clean it, lol, use a vacuum and vacuum the whole panel before doing anything. From there I have used RAGGTOPP convertable/fabric cleaner and that has worked before, and it took out some DEEP stains. However, some have said just wetting the whole panel down again and vacuuming dry with a wet vac could get rid of the stains, but from the sounds of it, yours are pretty set in and need some work to them :).
stop flirting levi :p

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
stop flirting levi :p
lol nah, just helping out, being that I used to own a performance/detail shop, I do have some tricks up my sleeve for stuff lol:amuse:

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Thank you so much for all the advice. Like right on the edge of it is where its darker. If cleaning doesn't work, I'm just going to paint black...

Yeah, the edges of where something gets wet is usually the darker areas because that is usually what dries first and that's what the dirt/dust sticks to the easiest when wet. This is why they get stained like that. It can be cleaned, but it takes patience and a lot of work to remove water stains/spots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.