Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of interior LEDs that i want to install under the dash and was wondering if there is a way to connect it to light up ONLY at night and without buying a switch, I know in my Neon i connected it to the headlight on switch so when i turned my lights on the LEDs would turn on. But our cars (at least in my car) when the light outside becomes dark my headlights automatically come on. But I dont have a Haynes manual or wiring diagram to figure it out myself and dont want to start playing with wires.

Since i brought it up, is the hynes manual currently out for the 05-09 gonna be the same as the 2010 cobalt? Because from what im aware the LAP came out in 09, so Im guessing there shouldnt be any difference?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would think you could still wire it to the headlights if you turned off automatic headlights when you drive, then they are off and you just turn them on when you feel its dark enough. Or depending on your car, pull your DRL fuse then you wont have daytime running lights, but it could be different bc i know in my 06 i run parking lights in the day, not headlights

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the grey wire only work once its night? Or is it always on?

Because I was thinking about that, but i didn't know..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you want them to come on with the headlights, just run a tap from your main parking lamps wire to a relay and then have that relay switch on the LED's. I am wary of using the grey wire as suggest above since it doesn't take much to render your dash lights inoperable.

As far as Chiltons/Haynes, their wiring diagrams are crap. Ask ff_drift_lol for a wiring diagram, he can get the actual GM ones. Here's his request thread:

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/install-guides-diy/19541-official-service-manual-recall-bulletin-request-thread.html

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i ran mine into my auto shifter wiring, does the same thing as the dimmer switch, only comes on when my parking lights are on...basically when the shifter is lighted up, the whole car is, and i took the bulb outta the shifter and dropped a led...so it lights up blue =)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want them to come on with the headlights, just run a tap from your main parking lamps wire to a relay and then have that relay switch on the LED's. I am wary of using the grey wire as suggest above since it doesn't take much to render your dash lights inoperable.

As far as Chiltons/Haynes, their wiring diagrams are crap. Ask ff_drift_lol for a wiring diagram, he can get the actual GM ones. Here's his request thread:

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/install-guides-diy/19541-official-service-manual-recall-bulletin-request-thread.html
Its not hard to do, its a very basic wire splice. If you manage to screw up somehow, someway.. it is fused.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I will try that this weekend and see what happens:p Thats what i want is for it to come on with the dash lights, thanks ALOT for the help! I will post up a picture after I install them this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.