Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. So I have this idea. I want to change the color of my interior lights to red (i.e. the climate control lights). I know I can buy a new gauge face to make the gauge cluster glow red, and I'm not worried about the stereo lights because I am looking to replace the stock stereo with a Pioneer head unit anyways, but what about the climate controls? Could you buy red bulbs to replace the stock bulbs behind the controls? Or maybe even some type of overlay kit that you could find online to lay over the controls and make it glow red? Any of you guys ever think of this or have any ideas as to what I could do?

·
Registered
254 Posts
also interested, i know theirs a DIY for making them a different colour but I tried it and dont like it too much, was gonna sauder LED's in the back as my next option but i need a new modual

·
Registered
394 Posts
soldering red LEDs is the only way I've heard of anyone doing this. I saw a video of someone doing this for the DIC control buttons, but I don't remember where it was.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hook line and sinker. I'm very interested in how this is done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured this would get quite a few of you interested. I'm still doing some investigating and I'm going to run this by one of my buddy's who is very good with interiors. I'll keep this thread going as I get more info. Hopefully, eventually even some install instructions and pics. In the mean time, if any of you guys come across anything that would make this upgrade possible, by all means post it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can also do the shapie mod with glass paint, it'll give you a more even color.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the sharpie mod in red first, but the heat of the bulbs started breaking the sharpie down, slowly turning back to yellow. I took off all the blue bulb caps and used non-bake glass paint enamel from my local crafts store, pained the bulbs directly, and 2 months later its still red as the day I did it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yeah sharpie doesnt like heat. I sharpied my dome light just to see if it would work, and it was blue for a couple days then the heat destroyed the sharpie

·
Registered
254 Posts
i tried both sharpie and glass tinting methods but i found it made the lights just too dark, produced a good colour result but reduced the amount of light going through causing it to be kinda dim and hard to see on darker days when its not completely nighttime

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.