Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did this write up a ways back for someone in another thread and it seemed to be helpful so I thought I'd post it here...

Things you'll need:
-wire
-"add a fuse"
-a switch
-2 barrier strips
(from radio shack)
-2 jumpers (for your barrier strip, link below)
-Some means of splicing wires together. I used those things that you can crimp with a pair of needle nose pliers but if you are good at soldering, then go right ahead :)
-a pair of dikes
-razor blade or knife
-a pair of needle nose pliers

-and last but not least you need some lights

1) Get your add a circuit Amazon.com: Pico 0956PT 10 Amp Mini Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder: Automotive and plug it in anywhere in your fuse box (Located next to your passengers left foot for you noobs). Depending on how many lights your using I'd go for at least a 10 amp slot.

2) If you want a switch (I suggest getting a switch) run a wire from the fusebox to one terminal of your switch. Make sure the wire is long enough to reach where you plan on mounting your switch.

3) Buy two each of these : 8-Position Dual-Row Barrier Strips - RadioShack.com and a jumper 8-Position Jumper - RadioShack.com And put the jumper down one side of the barrier strip. This will make it so you can have one power source and plug multiple items into it.

4) Take a wire and run it from the other terminal of your switch to one of the connecters on the duel row barrier strip on the side that you install the jumper.

So at this point you should have the add a fuse in the fuse box with a fuse plugged in. From there you should have a wire running to a switch of some sort. From the switch you should have another wire running to your barrier strip with a jumper installed.

That was your positive side, now onto your negative side:

5) Find a ground under your dash and attach a wire to it.

6) At the end of the wire attach your other barrier strip with a jumper.

So now your positive side ends in one of those barrier strips as well as your negative side. So now you can take your light and just plug the positive into one of the open terminals on the positive side and plug the negative into the negative side and you should have power going to your lights.

troubleshooting
Ok Heres a couple things to check for if you are having trouble. First of all, most of the extra fuse slots won't provide power if the key is out and a door is open. So close the door and turn your key to the "on" or "acc" and that should give you power to the fuse box. Another thing that happened to me was I had the wires wrong on the switch so I just switched them around and it worked fine. Other than that I'm clueless when it comes to electronics :p

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This would have helped when I did do mine lol.
STICKY THIS SHIZZ

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad you guys approve, if anyone can add to it feel free!

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
watch out for those brake lines glo...

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

bump for edit. I tried getting pics but they really didn't turn out too well

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some pics of my car with my neons and LED's on...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can someone post pictures of the wiring please??? I'm having trouble. I have the add-a-fuse plugged into my fuse box with a fuse on the add-a-fuse. Then from the add a fuse I have wire running from it to a switch and then a wire running from the switch to of the screws on the barrier strip. Then on the other jumper on the other side of the barrier strip I have a wire under one of the screws running to a ground. Then when I take the positive and negative terminals of my lights to each side they don't light up.

Normally I'm pretty savvy when it comes to electronics but what's also confusing me is how is the ground wire is the same as the negative wire.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll need 2 barrier strips and 2 jumpers. One barrier strip and jumper is connected to the switch (+) and the other barrier strip connects directly to your ground. I wasn't able to get any pics cuz everything was already wired up when I did the write up and taking everything apart was a a little too much work for me (I'm lazy lol)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fuse problem?

Thanks! I now have my lights lit up but the fuse on the add-a-fuse is glowing and the lights are rather dim. It's weird because the fuse isn't breaking but it is glowing. They're 10 Amp fuses. Should I try getting higher current ones? 15 or 20?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Which fuse slot did you guys use? im gonna go tests some different ones but i was hoping someone had some advice on which one to use

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forget which slot I used but it was one of the 20a spare slots.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do you HAVE to have the barrier strip and jumper? I mean it is easy for when you want to hook other things to it but my friend and i were talking about it last night. All he did was run the + wire from the fuse to the switch, run the + wire from the neon to the switch, then run the ground from the neon to a ground somewhere. He has 4 neon tubes all twisted together and ran all into the same switch slot. That seems hell of a lot easier than the way you explained it.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For me this made it a little cleaner and instead of having to re-crimp a new butt connector ech time I added an accessory I just had to pull out the barrier strips and plug in a new wire. It just makes everything a bit easier in the long run...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah I just don't see how the jumpers go into the barrier strips..idk maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.