Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could do write me a "how to" on how to install interior neons, ive done it once before on my old car (with help from my grandpa) but i want to install it to where when i open my door they come on but also have a switch so i can turn them on or off when i want like the dome light. Sorry for being a noob, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
dont go with neon go to LEDglow.com or something like that get a kit for blue for your balt. i had neon but found a kit for $40 bucks for four bars of LED with like 10 different settings and it wires right to your battery and you have a control for it all and dont take up a cigarette lighter

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you go with LEDglow.com (which i definitely recommend) I don't know if you can get a "open your door and the light turns on" set up... I would recommend getting their kit that comes with the wireless remote, and then tapping into your interior light fuse in your fuse box (underneath the glove box).... doing that means your lights will always have power, so you can turn them on or off with the remote before you get in the car. don't worry about it draining the battery, i've left them on all night before by accident... LED's draw very little power.

i'm also no professional, and i've only done this once. but that's how i did it... except i have a multi color kit with no remote... i wish i had the single color kit with remote, i only want red. i don't like having to "scroll" through my flashy bullshit settings to get to solid red.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok ive decided to get a kit from ledglow but which kit should i get the 4x9 tubes or 4x15 tubes

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mhm i forget how wide mine are im trying to remember way to decide is to go measure how wide the bottom of the front seats are and then make your judgment because i mounted two of them on the bottom of the front seats and then the footwells under the dash and i got blue not the multi color one

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
just tap into the interior lights and then put a swith in somewhere

·
Registered
159 Posts
Could you guys post pics? Im wanting to do this and im just not sure where to put them. Espically on the backs. And is it illegal to have interior glows? :X

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I can try to get pics tomorow. it's illegal in some places but it should be pretty easy to talk your way out of if you get pulled over for it

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well how is a cop really gonna know? My friend has a firebird and his back speakers are ones with blue lights around/comming from them and it lights up the whole car and hes been pulled over and cop didnt say a word.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Heres my interior neons, They are wired to the terminal under the hood, with an in line fuse, toggled by a dash-mounted illuminated blue rocker switch

And theres the rocker in this pic

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
well it's one of those things where usually it's "illegal" but they couldn't care less. Ive got my switch mounted in the little cubby hole thing at the back

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I installed mine, my interiors are autozone LED 12 inch strip, i had a left over one from another time, and theyre so bright i cut it in half and soldered wires to the one half, so i have six inch strips on both sides, whats best is the autozone led strip is flexible and has a sticky backing so i just peeled and found a good surface to stick them to. theyre bright, thin and flexible and out of the way, out of sight

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I installed mine, my interiors are autozone LED 12 inch strip, i had a left over one from another time, and theyre so bright i cut it in half and soldered wires to the one half, so i have six inch strips on both sides, whats best is the autozone led strip is flexible and has a sticky backing so i just peeled and found a good surface to stick them to. theyre bright, thin and flexible and out of the way, out of sight
I have the exact same thing but I got mine from china for next to nothing lol. the one thing I found with the neon strips is they use really cheap tape so it's best to stick better tape on em.generally it's a really simple install though

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Well i think just to be safe, i threw some strips of automotive outdoor duct tape on the strip, laying it between the LEDs lol, shouldnt fall off anytime soon

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.