Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im on my way out to get some paint for my dash and door panels but im kinda new to painting so what do i need besides this... Im gonna get Krylon fusion paint and clear coat but do i need primer or anything else?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You will need some sand paper for the dash pieces. 400 and 1200 grit along with some paint thinner to clean the stuff before you start painting

·
Registered
485 Posts
Most important thing also is to wear some sort of rubber or latex gloves when your touching the panels until after you get them clear coated. The oils from your skin will get on the plastic and over time will cause the paint to let loose

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Do I have to sand my door panels?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
No there is no paint on them. just wipe them down with paint thinner first.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i dont want to say right or wrong, its your choice everyone does things differently...i am a painter at a body shop this is how i usually do things...

but i would strongly advise not wiping anything with thinner it will either eat,melt, or ruin what is there or what you will put there if your not carefull...

i would say for the dash trim, wash with hot soapy water, unless you have access to some nice wax and grease remover. Make sure everything is nice and dry water is an easy way to ruin paint! then sand with a Fine grit sandpaper nothing under 500 the coarser you get the harder it will be to hide scratches. id use 1000 or something close ... if your using the krylon fusion just start spraying if not, some kind of adhesion promoter would ensure maximun adhesion! ESPECIALLY on things like door panels etc...NO ADHESION PROMOTER IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE . it will almost guartantee peeling (when i painted my under steering wheel cover, the paint peeled alot cause i used the wrong adhesion promoter) your dash trim should be fine with out it. i would avoid putting to much paint on them could cause problems in the future! just spray till you think its covered and then do one more to be safe (usually 3-4 coats is nice)heh..

also i would say let whatever your painting sit for about 12 hours or more just to make sure it sets in real nice ESPECIALLY door panels etc... just cause it feels dry dont mean its ready heh i learned this the hard way

you can use primers but its not really necesarry. the cool thing about the krylon fusion is theres no prep. suposedly you just spray with out sanding etc.. but in my opinion i would still sand. i would also suggest some type of clear just to make it more durable and last longer even if you want it a matte color, get a matte clear coat it sprays on like a shiny clear but as it dries it fades.

any questions let me know

-Kev

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-Krylon Fusion paint
-1000 grit sand paper ( how much do you sand it down?)
-Clear coat(what kind would you suggest?)
-Do i need anything else?

·
Registered
328 Posts
when you sand, usually its till theres no "orange peel" but if you just run over it so its "scratched" it should be fine... a light scuff if you will heh...pretend your cleaning it with the sand paper... the best way i can describe it... clear coat is up to you whether you want a matted clear coat or a shiny clear any would do ... i would recommend something with a fan spray for even coverage ... its very easy to put to much on so becareful! you want it wet but not to wet.. spray about 6 inches away or so if it looks to wet back off if its to dry get closer ...get your edges! :D its an easy way to ruin a paint job when you see un painted spots heh...

for an adhesion promoter it depends on the manufacturer for my interior, the green i did with dupont automotive paint with 222 adhesion promoter and HC7776 snap dry clear but thats an automotive paint you cant really just go to the store to buy that... for my white i used SEM color coat paints (you can get these online from alot of places, its good stuff if you do it right) if you go to their site they have similar how to's and what not.. but to save you steps and searching ...

if you use SEM paint theyll tell you to wash it, scuff it, and then spray something called SAND FREE on. its an adhesion promoter. while thats still wet (dont spray to much on, that also will make it not stick) spray a light coat of color and then let it dry (as it dries the adhesion promoter sinks in to the plastic giving your paint something to stick to) then apply paint till covered...Dont rush this process the paint needs to set in the plastic so it doesnt peel ... wait 15 or 20 minutes between coats

LET SIT !!!! next day scratch with your fingernail an unnoticeable spot, if the paint comes off you messed up somehow heh ... you dont got to PICK AT IT to try and get it off... just lightly heh

with krylon... they say you dont need an adhesion promoter so do it according to the directions on the can...

a paint shop should do it for fairly cheap ... some places dont get into things like that cause it could cost them more than it cost you just cause if they dont do it right then they have to redo it etc.. but if a decent shop does it then sure give it a shot!

let me know how it works out!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The reason I said to wipe down the piece you are painting with paint thinner is because it says to in the directions on the krylon fusion can.

·
Registered
328 Posts
oh heh.. there you go then...lol i didnt know that... i would still be careful especially on plastics there not all the same... some melt when you put thinner on them... my glove box did...(it was part of the adhesion test for SEM (they have 2 adhesion promoters one is more aggressive than the other, basically softens the plastic)

thanks for the edit tho!

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
daman come paint my doors black u did a good job on urs lulz

·
Registered
96 Posts
for the dash trim i trongly recommend 1000 sanding with water work better.... depending on the paint u use do a primers i notice that with the trim its better to prime...

for the doors and the glove compartmet, etc remove them... clen them really good with non-oil products and use Fusion plastic comes out better....

finish everythin up with a protective clear coat...

dnt pay for a shop to do when u know u can do it urself

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.