Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello YC readers...i this thread should be helpful (disregard not having pictures) in wrapping interior parts in carbon fiber.

3M has produced a revolutionary product that allows you to get the look of carbon fiber with out the price just visit Carbon Fiber Film | Dedicated To Selling 3M Carbon Fiber DI-NOC Vinyl I ordered the sample...it should be sufficent to do this mod and it only runs about $8

I started off by removing my steering wheel DIC Control plates to add a little flavor to them. By sticking a flat head screw driver in the small holes in the steering column to release the airbag REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT BATTERY AND WAIT 15 minutes

In doing so you'll see two hex screws (T20 size if your interested....) holding your DIC Control plates on. Remove the screws and disconnect the harnesess. And about 8 tiny clips.....

Now you should have your steering wheel trim ready to go!

Draw out your design on the film backing...these two panels will take up about alll the space the sample gives you.

Peel the backing off and stick one side down on the panel and use a heat gun to stretch and wrap the part...Cut the holes and re attach and ENJOY!

Ill upload pics tomorrow...my camera battery died in the process of this diy...and its 145 am...

Time taken: 1 hr if ya good with tools and completely unsure of what your doing and about 25 minutes if ya do know what your doing:bigsmile:

·
Registered
280 Posts
It should come out looking like this...

I ordered mine from http://www.stickercity.com/3M-Di-Noc-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Sheet.html if you plan on getting the whole interior done. I ordered the 48x48 and it was free shipping. I had a bit of extra, and I probably wasted a bit because of not doing this properly and having to restart. Make sure you get a heat gun! It works SO much better than a hair dryer.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Looks pretty nice. I'll have to keep it in mind for when my interior trim needs redone since I cannot just use the G5's shadow grid pattern in the 05 Cobalt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well now i dont have to post a pic! yeah...i like the way mine came out..i used a scary ass hair dryer..it looks damn good...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, I used a hair dryer my first go around too. I just finally bought a heat gun, yesterday. I ran into the problem of my cruise control button sticking and not coming back up or going back down. Make sure you pull cuts back TIGHT! So I rewraped a few of my pieces that I didn't care how they turned out. I still have some material left, and I think I might redo one more piece. The center around the radio and HVAC is a PITA to wrap! I have a few bubbles in mine, even after the heat gun, it's just hard to get perfection out of it!

·
Registered
280 Posts
No, no, I mean the trim around the radio and hvac, I left the hvac alone. I just switched the face out for a black face. Check out my garage, you can see a few more detailed pics of my interior

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ebay! That's where I got mine, and I think I got it extremely cheap! It was like $30 or $35 shipped. All you really need is the faceplate. The unit doesn't even have to be working.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My process, since I painted the pieces before, was to sand them down, clean them off, and apply the material. Heat the material up as needed to stretch around corners. Cut excess off with a blade. Personally, I wouldn't even prep your pieces, but that's just me. That way, if you ever want to go back to stock, if you haven't painted them already, you could just peel/pull the stuff off.

·
Registered
280 Posts
No problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its was pretty tough for me because I have spells of OCD..haha and had to have my pieces co-operate with each other as far as the "grain" matching...but the dash trim should be a lot easier...also i believe this will be on my roof sometime this year...should look great on a white car...kind of M3ish

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, I made sure all my pieces were going the same way, but the cool thing was, when I installed it back in, it was all running together perfectly! It just fell into place. It was great! Oh, and I think you mean 3Mish! LOL! J/k

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hahaha....i think the roof would look great...it'll really set the car off. Esp with black rims coming next weekend im off....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.