Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im thinking of starting a project and vinyling most of my interior like i have seen alot of ppl paint theres... i don't want to paint it in case of accidents and im thinking the vinyl is the safest way to go... how can i go about this without removing and having to worry about dissasembaling parts of my dash ect.? is there any way i can get a layout and measurments of the dash to cut the pieces myself then apply them? and how do you guys think a glossy white will look?

·
Registered
31 Posts
the white will fade in the sun and start to turn a different color over time. there are places on the internet that have dash covers that just fit over what you have. i would look into that instead if i were you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you know any websites that would have such things?

·
Registered
318 Posts
depends on what color you want. You can find some on Ebay or do a google search. If you just buy vinyl and do it yourself be aware that it doesn't always stick to the more textured stuff like the tops of the dash and doors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i want white... i found a vinyl that sells by the foot that i could get and its the perfect color... i wasn't planning on doing the top of the dash or the doors i was just going to do the trim like around the radio and stuff... i have looked and looked and looked for white trim that is either precut or replacement parts and cannot find either so i decided to consider this

·
Registered
318 Posts
its sooo much cheaper to cut it yourself. Those pre-cut pieces are like 75 bucks or more! You need to make a template out of masking tape first then peel it off, put it on your sheet and trim around it. That's what I did. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
u did interior trim? how did it turn out?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is pretty nice ... thats pretty similar to what i wanna do is that vinyl? i don't wanna paint it... and where did you get the seat covers and wheel cover? think i could get em in white? i have looked and looked for white striped or black n white seat covers for cobalts n can't find em anywhere

(couldn't pm u back this was only my tenth post lol)

·
Registered
318 Posts
That is vinyl on the dash and steering wheel panels. Wheel cover and seat covers came from Amazon.com and are neoprene. Wheel cover still looks good but the seats look shitty because they are universal fit and not the greatest quality to begin with. If you want seat covers spend the $$ and get some that are custom made for a Cobalt. It will cost you a ton but they'll fit better and won't stretch out or sag. I'm sure somebody makes white seat covers but I'll tell ya, they're gonna be a real ***** to keep clean. Hell mine are dark colored and still look filthy, despite the fact that I only drive the car once ot twice a week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i prolly will.... but theres a few other things i wanna get done first... im def. gonna do the white vinyl interior trim and ill prolly do it on the wheel too... where did you get your mirror covers from or do those come with the LT?
-----Added 29 Oct 2008 at 03:16:22-----
ok so when doing the interior you said to use masking tape... how is this done? do you use the masking tape to make a template? then do you stick the vinyl to the masking tape and stick the masking tape to the trim? surely not....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so when doing the interior you said to use masking tape... how is this done? do you use the masking tape to make a template? then do you stick the vinyl to the masking tape and stick the masking tape to the trim? surely not....

·
Registered
318 Posts
stick the masking tape to your dash (or whatever you are covering) and trim it to shape. Remove properly-shaped masking tape and stick it to the top of the vinyl. Trim the vinyl to match the shape of the masking tape template. Remove masking tape to reveal vinyl that is now in the shape of whatever you are sticking it to. Spray area to be covered with a bottle of water that has a few drops of soap added. Spray the sticky side of the vinyl with the same solution. Place vinyl on dash (or whatever). The soapy water will allow you to move the vinyl around to the proper position. Squeegee out excess water and allow to dry.

My miror covers are stock for the LT.

Note: vinyl is best applied in temps above 50 degrees. Cooler temps make the vinyl less pliable and more likely to snap or crack when you pull on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whats the best thing to use for a squeegie?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how many feet should i get? each foot is 2 feet wide in the vinyl im looking at.... so if i get 2 feet its 2x2... would 5 or 6 feet be enough? that would be 10-12 square feet

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all the dash trim... rings around all my meters, those small control pad things on the wheel, cup holder trims, gear shifter trim, and possibly the glove compartment handles

·
Registered
318 Posts
2-3 feet should be plenty. You could always mask out your templates ahead of time and see how much total space they take up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got the vinyl today started installing it... about half done n it looks good :) should have pix later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.