Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents dont want me doing any "modding" to my car. since they still pay my insurance i will go by their rules. However i was given the green light to add power windows/locks/ keyless entry. i know most of you say stick with manual but i cant take it anymore. i know they break its a risk well worth it.

What i do want to know is what is the differenc in interior from an LS to a LT or SS. i have the crappy light interior.

would it be easier to buy all the plastic that is black and put it in or perhaps paint it all black to make it look like the dark interior.

also i know the Recargo seats are to hard to come by so from what i understand is the SS leather seats an easier fit. (after you rewire the airbag sensor i have to put in)

any sugestions ?

i know alot of hassel but i plan on having this car for atleast 3 more years i hope so might as well make it hommie if i can

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just paint your interior yourself and yeah have fun on getting those seats... Only have been a Balt owner for about 4 months and they are usually too much after shipping or way to far away to meet half way!

·
Registered
365 Posts
1. "Recaro" not "Recargo" - i just had to point that out

2. The difference between LT/SS interior is power locks, windows, and mirrors. Silver dash trim with fog light/light dimmer switch. Usually seats (LT sometimes have black or leather, SS have SS seats). LT also comes with an armrest. They also have radio controls on steering wheel and the lock/unlock and window bezel on the door. The sport models have the 140mph instrument cluster and SS have the 160mph.

3. The cost of putting power windows and locks is not worth it. You only have to roll ONE window down, which is yours (the driver window). Locks shouldn't be an issue unless you pack 5 people in your car and live in a dangerous neighborhood.

4. The easiest way is to paint your door panels/interior (maybe seats) or just buy seat covers. I suggest buying seat covers.

5. If your parents are letting you change your entire interior, they wont let you add HIDs or projectors? One more mod to ask about is window tint (thats a good one). Just look through the list of mods people are doing and pick the ones which dont have an impact on the car much. Like tinting tail lights or shorty antenna? Those are cheap. Just ask your parents.

My final opinion: Don't do power locks or windows. I've thought about power windows and locks and I drive people around all the time. Its not hard saying "Can you lock your doors?" Also it gives everyone a good laugh at how "my car is a 2008 and has manual everything." Spend the money elsewhere or save it so you can have that extra $$$ to upgrade your new car in 4 years. Or in case you get a ticket for some reason. Or the stock market lmao.

One of my longest posts :O

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry wrote that all on my phone since my labtop is being fixed and it must have corrected it. I am going to paint the interior black and still look for leather seats. I already have tinted windows and i think the stock headlights are fine. I hate the fact that i have to tell people to lock the car though and i think it will be worth it since i really dont plan on upgrading to a new car or going FI anytime soon

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
3. The cost of putting power windows and locks is not worth it. You only have to roll ONE window down, which is yours (the driver window). Locks shouldn't be an issue unless you pack 5 people in your car and live in a dangerous neighborhood.

4. The easiest way is to paint your door panels/interior (maybe seats) or just buy seat covers. I suggest buying seat covers.
this. Paint + seat covers. they do make good seat covers that make it difficult to tell they're covers. You pay a premium, but its still cheaper than replacing the seats.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
get power locks. It's a cheap upgrade and you can do most of the work yourself. I just installed an actuator in my 2 doors, then had them wired to my alarm so I have keyless entry. SO much more convenient, and it cost me almost nothing. For the power windows, I'll be doing those too. They won't be too expensive, junkyard parts will be my choice. I say do it. it's very convenient, especially when it gets real hot here and I'm on the service road trying to roll down the other window to get a breeze, since I don't have any A/C.

sorry icydub but i gotta disagree with you for once lol. It's totally worth it, and if you get the right parts (oem usually), then nothing should break for a while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quick question, didn't wana start a new thread...

I have power locks, but no remote control. Everytime I open the door with my key the alarm goes off....do I need to get the remote or is there a way to disable the alarm from going off each time??

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
wait, you got the go ahead for power locks and windows and now you're talking about painting or swapping interior and seats? I'm confused lol.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

and 3 years to have a car is not very long, If I only was gonna have a car for 3 years I wouldn't put much money into it at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well they didnt want anything that would mess with the engine.i didnt feel like arguing plus my grey interior kinda blows... and i really want to go to a junk yard and see if i can find OEM stuff for the windows and hopefully it wont cost to to much

and i know its not long but its long enough plus i plan on giving it to my little brother when (hopefully nothing bad happens to the car) when he gets his license and that is just about 3 or so years and i might as well have the car looking some what decent for him. By then hopefully i can just go get a SS/Tc because it has everything i want in a car(minus the back windsheild wiper and awd)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quick question, didn't wana start a new thread...

I have power locks, but no remote control. Everytime I open the door with my key the alarm goes off....do I need to get the remote or is there a way to disable the alarm from going off each time??
Don't use the power lock button. You'll have to use the manual pull locks.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
well they didnt want anything that would mess with the engine.i didnt feel like arguing plus my grey interior kinda blows... and i really want to go to a junk yard and see if i can find OEM stuff for the windows and hopefully it wont cost to to much

and i know its not long but its long enough plus i plan on giving it to my little brother when (hopefully nothing bad happens to the car) when he gets his license and that is just about 3 or so years and i might as well have the car looking some what decent for him. By then hopefully i can just go get a SS/Tc because it has everything i want in a car(minus the back windsheild wiper and awd)
well if you go the junkyard rout and plan on having your brother have the car then I say good plan.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats what i'll plan on doing next pay check... he loves my car so might as well give it to him when he learns how to drive.. already had him practicing in the fields... he's not to great on driving a stick ha

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wouldn't paint the interior in any gloss colors, just looks too fake afterward... unless it is the trim pieces. As for power windows, a junk yard find is gonna be used and abused, your better off getting the regulators from a gm site. And you could find all the new panels on the gm sites too. May be more expensive, but it will look new instead of abused. That is if looks matter to you. If not, go for it in the junk yard. Just beware of what you are buying, inspect each piece closely for cracks or missing parts, or even bends. Scuff marks are usually spotted right away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i didn't want gloss i really just want to make it the black that came stock in the Lt..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I so do the power windows and locks, i hate being in vehicles that dont have it installed allready. soo damn annoying lol

as far as painting the interior just swap interior trim pieces( thats what i did), when you paint the plastic it looks like shit IMO. i hated my grey interior sooo much. i got the glovebox, kickpanels, piece under the steering wheel and all the black plastic in the rear for 100 all together from CSS/ junkyards.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you were an 07+ I would've highly recommended trying to find a G5 to get the trim from. Shadow grid > silver paint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.